guppies in 1 gallon bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COBLIGAR

Registered Fish Stalker
Nov 29, 2005
Bay Area, CA
guppy bowl

I have a 2.5g guppy bowl with 4 guppies.

Bowl was cycled with Biospira.

Tank is heated with a little hydor mini heater under the gravel, and filtered with an Elite stingray 5. They've got an airstone, and several plants including Java fern, banana plant, and two grass plants.

As for fry, I'll let them eat them, and send any others over to my 1.5 betta bowl.

I do partial water changes evey other day, and test for nitrites regularly (I have a seachem ammonia detector which helps me gauge the ammonia levels constantly like a thermoeter.) Additionally I use a gravel vaccum (or just my turkey baster if I don't feel like vaccuming) at least once a week (though I usually turkey baste during my water changes.)

I really like my setup, and all my fish look quite happy, playing in the Stingray 5's current, and swimming through the plants (and driftwood that the java fern is attached to.) If anything goes wrong with this setup, I'll post... However, for those of us who don't have space for a tank, we must improvise with meticulous care and plenty of research. Do a google search on pico tanks for helpful information on planting.

-c

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
Web Gazelle said:
Those bowls are for bettas or gold fish, nothing else.

goldfish need a bare minimum of 30 gallons for the first fish and 15 gallons for every fish after that.

COBLIGAR

Registered Fish Stalker
Nov 29, 2005
Bay Area, CA
My guppy bowl

I actually keep one female guppy, two male endlers and one male red cherry shrimp in my 2 gallon planted bowl. I've had this bowl for about 4 months and have been using the fry as live food for the mother guppy as well as my bettas.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
Like others, I wouldn't keep a guppy in a bowl, but I disagree with the heater requirement for them.

Guppies can and do live at lower temperatures than most of the FW fish we keep. My quarrantine tank is a 10gal which I keep unheated with a single female guppy. Our home is kept between 68-70'F in the winter and my little guppy does great.

Lowering the temperature extends the lifespan of the fish by slowing its metabolism. This works for me and my guppy, but if you want to breed you will want higher temperatures.

Kolomoysk

AC Members
Dec 4, 2021
The fish choice is affected by the size of the fish bowl. Only a small group of guppies can be kept in a 1 gallon. In a small bowl, guppies become dwarfed and may have health issues. The funny thing is that guppy fish can be successfully bred even in the smallest fish tank. Do not buy a heater or filter. This will be detrimental in such a small bowl. Guppies are known to be very endurant!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store