Guppies keep dying (3 today) a couple over the past week

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PosingOwl

AC Members
Apr 26, 2012
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner (beautiful day outside).... When we got home, guess what?, another dead guppy.... I know for sure that it was fine earlier after I checked the fish for ich (from another post).... I did another pwc earlier as well but the fish keep dying....

When we had the air stone the fish would all swim around it, trying to avoid it.... I think there was 1 fish that swam through a lot though.... Maybe I have to check into the long ones that sit in the back as you mentioned....

Yes only the livebearers are dying I have no other fish are being affected.... I have not added aquarium salt because some people I talked to say that its bad in a freshwater tank, ( to be honest, thats what I thought freshwater meant, no salt).... I also read that its healthy for the fish too....

All the fish right now are all swimming around and being active, all except that fat one I mentioned earlier....She is just sitting at the top swimming around a little bit....

Thanks for wishing luck and all your guys advice.... What can be going on....

Also, I noticed there are tiny bubbles on one of my plants.... Do you think that could be killing them?

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
Just curious, what kind of test kit are you using? Liquid or paper?

I've had tons of livebearers throughout the years and never added salt to my tanks. It has some health benefits, but it's up to you really. Personally, I only use salt when treating for ich.

If all your parameters are fine, I'd probably lean towards bad stock.

PosingOwl

AC Members
Apr 26, 2012
I am using a JBL liquid test kit.... It includes PH, KH, Nitrite, Nitrate, and FE

I then bought an Ammonia liquid test kit from JBL as well.... They are pretty much everywhere over here.... My next test kit will be API but then I have to order it from the UK.... But I heard JBL is just as good....

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I would do more than a 30% pwc. I would make it more like 60 or 70%. Mollies definately need salt, so add some salt in as directed. See if any of these suggestions help.

PosingOwl

AC Members
Apr 26, 2012
I will go to the lfs tomorrow morning and try the salt way.... I will then do another water change after that.... Thanks for the suggestions and I will update tomorrow sometime....

PosingOwl

AC Members
Apr 26, 2012
Hey everyone its me again....

Well today I went to go get some aquarium salt at my lfs and they dont carry it.... When I got home this evening guess what, another fish was dead, the fat guppy i was talking about....I just did a 60% water change and tested my water.... Everything is perfect like they have been.... We had that guppy that died since we started the tank....

Also, when I was looking at the tank after the water change I noticed that one of the mollies has a red poop coming out of it.... I made a video - its at www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NqSR5x9FvU

Like I said not sure what it is so please help with this.... Could it be a worm or something?

PosingOwl

AC Members
Apr 26, 2012
Good morning everone....

Woke up this morning to find another dead guppy, i think it was another female ( now we are down to 2 males and 1 female) Also the white molly in the video I posted is alive but with its mouth near the gravel and is vertical.... not swimming just staying still.... its alive because I thought it was dead and tried to get it out and it swam away.... It looks like the some of the fins have been snipped at.... What in the h*** is going on here?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
At the rate your fish are dying I might mention a disease like columnaris. Although it.ususally presents with white patches but when I got it not all.the fish that died showed them (particularly the livebearers I lost). Its a rapid death, when a fish acted funny it died w.in 48 hrs. I treated with maracyn 2 ,and the rest of my fish survived

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store