guppies or mollies.... I dont know which one

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

which should I breed?

• guppies

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • mollies

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • other

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

bball4life

Hops
Nov 27, 2004
Ok I want to either breed red dalmation mollies or red,yellow guppies or any combinations of the two colors. But I am not sure which species to choose. I have bred mollies before and it was great. But since guppies are a little smaller and dont need as much tank space I am starting to like them. So which do you all think I should breed? In the poll I will put other, but if you say other please do tell and I hope it is readily available.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I personally prefer guppies due to the different colorations in them. But there are other different live bearers to choose one. Another great one is the Merry Widow, an plain looking fish but **** alot of fun to raise and breed. Not as easy as Mollies or Guppies.

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
woo hoo im the first voter!

id go for guppies they are fun and look cool (even though all of my guppies got wiped out by an ich invasion)
there are so many varieties of guppy that just saying that ur going to breed yellow and red doesnt really say much
what shape fin are you going to breed for?
what disign r u going to breed for (snakeskin, tuxcido, swardtail....)
breeding guppys can become very fun and involveing (there is even a world guppy association --> id google them to see what theyve beed up to)
there are trillions of different ways to breed a guppy and if you have enough room and time you can make your own custom fish (if all goes well)

Last edited:

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
I like them both. But it depends, are you using them as feeders? you can decide by what your feeding them to. If you not, I think guppies are better for the reason that they arent as big, and you'd be able to keep more of them.

I hope that helps ^____^

bball4life

Hops
Nov 27, 2004
thanks for your advice, and lobo the tail type I was thinking of either veiltail or delta. I am open to all opinions what type do you think is the best?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Kissofthegorami said:
Just make sure you watch the inbreeding.
Inbreeding isn't that huge of an issue with Livebearers, its where we get all the more exotic fish that we have today comes from. Every now an then yep, go ahead and place in a fresh female or male but you shouldn't have to worry about it for a few years.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I didn't vote yet, because if I were making that decision I would look first at my water. Mollies do very well in hard water, and often folks have trouble getting them to breed in soft water. guppies will breed in anything wet as far as I know. That being said, If you have hard water or don't mind hardening the water, I would go with the mollies just for grins. If not Guppies are a lot of fun as well. Either way it will be fun for you I'm sure.
Dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store