Guppy pooing out clear white stringy stuff

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LewisH

AC Members
May 12, 2019
One of my female guppies is pooing out this clear stringy stuff, will it be worms? Shes completely fine in herself (active and eating fine)

20200108_210231.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Clear stringy poo is not good as you know. Tell us all about your tank: size? water parameters? Tankmates? How long have you had this guppy? Other new fish? How often & how much water do you change water? Foods?

I'm hesitant to think meds are the answer without more info. Clear poo can be a sign of hexaminta, parasites, protozoans, or just a food issue. Is this a 1 off poo or a regular issue?

Last edited:

LewisH

AC Members
May 12, 2019
It's a 100L tank, parameters are all fine, in my tank I have guppies, pair of sword tails, pair of mollies, albino catfish and a bristlenose pleco,
I did have a kribensis but he was way too aggressive (kept attacking the guppies) so I had to take him back, would this stress have caused this? this guppy is one of my newer ones (few week old). I do weekly water changes of 30%. I feed them flake food. It's just this one particular guppy I have seen this on, noticed it a couple of days ago.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not sure what "fine" means for water parameters, but the fact you do weekly water changes is good.

If you're concerned about this single guppy, I'd pull it and quarantine it.

LewisH

AC Members
May 12, 2019
I dont have a second tank though? Am I best of medicating the whole tank just incase its infected all of them? Just finished work and the female guppy now seems very lethargic? What medication am I best off buying?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Can you post a new/better picture from this one it seems to me that this guppy has a bent spine and is fairly thin meaning she is old and treating won't do anything. She doesn't have intestinal worms it's probably Hexamita/Spironucleus taking over because of age/weakness.

LewisH

AC Members
May 12, 2019
Seriously? I've only just bought this guppy within the last few weeks? Haha, arent them symptoms also symptoms of worms though? It just keeps staying in this spot in the corner

20200109_174316.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It just looked that way on the fuzzy pic, she seems fine here, looks more she just gave birth and that is why she stayed in that corner.

Reactions: LewisH
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store