Guppy population control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Jan 17, 2018
We put our endler live bearers. in our outdoor 300 gallon pond with our 5 goldfish and in two different 50 gallon ponds. Last year, we forgot to take them in and there was a massive die off. we then brought the remaining 50 or so that remained indoors. over the winter and through the summer, I will estimate and say there are over 300 of them.
Does anyone have any idea on how to population control these guys? I don't want to freeze them to death but I don't think 400 guppies will do well in a 20 gallon high while there population grows for the next winter.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Pretty much any piscine predator will take them--gouramies, Oscars, anabantids, a huge variety of cichlids, leaf fish, catfish etc.

In my experience, endler-guppies are breeding machines that fill all available space rapidly. Even with predators.

Reactions: ustabefast

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Good luck selling them to anyone. No one wants female Endlers or especially Endler/Guppy hybrids if that is what you have.
I even have hassles trying to give them away.
I do cull out the males when they show colors and then use them as dithers in other tanks.

i once tried keeping pure Endlers with Heterandia Formosa to see what happened.
The Endlers easily outcompeted the Least Killies.
These little guys are survivors and many even made it through a winter in my outdoor pond.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Killing animals because they are inconvenient for you isn't a call I can make. It's not something I would do. I had no problem leaving the fish in the tank and letting them reduce numbers on their own, or feeding a predator. Ultimately, they took over tanks and that impaired the other species in there, so I made the decision not to keep them anymore and rehomed all of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store