Guppy science fair project?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Racheleeyore

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
PA
Real Name
Rachel
Please note that the vast majority of science fairs require you to have a vet sign off if you are experimenting on vertebrates. I would like to suggest using ramshorn snails - check out their "end of the world" syndrom - PM me if you would like any help...Im an old hand at science fairs and have a Bio degree :)

nonamesleft47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
I'd divide 10 gallons into 4 or 5 compartments with DIY dividers, put a sponge filter and heater in each. 10 gallons are cheaper than 2.5 or 5 gallon tanks. You could also get a large rubbermaid type container and float each guppy in it's own floating bowl like a butter dish with holes drilled in it for water flow and a little java moss. Then you would have a large, stable amount of water and a way to seperate each guppy.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I need to get answers fast for this project. We have almost 2 months, but we need to have the equipment ready in about a week. How many sections can I divide a 20L into? Also, where would I place a heater. Lastly, could I just use a single HOB filter?

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Sorry for not going out and stating what we are testing. We are still deciding what to test, but I think we are either going for what type of food causes fastest growth, or does a mixed diet of food cause a fast growth (2 different experiments). Does that help any?
Shouldn't you know what you're testing for before you design the experiment?

Another idea rather than many small tanks is a large tank, you can do targeted feeding with a plastic cup if you don't have a lot of guppies, that would be less expensive to heat and filter.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Ok, so here is our setup. We are going to have a 10g divided into 4 sections with a fish in each one. These will be fish 1, fish 2, fish 3, and fish 4. We will also have 3 types of food we will test. Flake, crisps, and pellets. F1 will get flake, F2 will get crisps, F3 will get pellets and F4 will get a mix. No substrate and each fish will get its own DIY sponge filter. Does this setup sound good? Also, I have a heater, but how would I place it in the tank so that all the fish get warmed equally.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
If you're dividing the tank with the type of dividers that the LFS sells (has holes in it), the heater can go in any area of the tank since the water will flow through the whole thing. If not, one heater won't do it. You'd need one small heater in each section.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store