Guppy with a lump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Yesterday afternoon I noticed my male guppy had a rather large lump on his side and he was staying very close to the top of the water. All my guppies seem to stay near the top, but he was abnormally near the top and acting a little funny. I wanted to move him to his own tank, but unfortunatly I don't have one so I decided to see how it goes for a day then decide what to do. This morning I checked him and the lump is gone and he's swimming around more normally again. Any idea what this was? Could it have been an injury by one of the mollies? I don't see any external wound or scratch on him.

Also, both my female guppies are pregnant. They have both had the dark spots on their backside for awhile, but now on one of them the spots look reddish, almost a bloody look to them. Is this normal? Or is something going wrong with her as well?

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
The lump could have been some sort of internal blockage that cleared up. Seems like most other lump-causing problems would be more persistant.

As far as the red-spot...My guppies' tend to have a more reddish look after giving birth, but normally this also coincides with a reduction in size of both the abdomen and the spot.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
She still looks about as fat as she has since I've had her (3 weeks or so). The only change I've noticed is the spots turning reddish color. Maybe she is in the process of birthing then, but it has been this way a couple of days.

I'll keep watching her, with her in the same tank as all the others it will be hard to see if she did give birth, chances are they'll be eaten up before I get to see them (have 5 nice healthy molly fry that survived though hehe).

Thanks morleyz!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store