Guppy ?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
I was just given about 30 guppies half a dozen full size and a ton of fry of all sizes. Now my question is how fast do they grow? And how do you sex them? A couple of my Gouramis have chased some of the smallest fry but they were able to out swim them and hide in the plants. The gouramis do not realy seem intersted in the fry except when they were first put in (they probably thought it was food), or I should say they are not rooting them out of the plants. Any information would be great.
TIA

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Gouramis think anything that will fit in their mouth is food. Follow this link for some information on guppies. The one in the image is a male. You can tell because of the shape of it's anal fin.

pikwik

Fish Are Friends
Jun 13, 2005
Surrey, BC
How fast they grow depends on how much you feed them and the size of tank they are in. My guppy fry that were in a 10g tank were big enough to sell in about 2.5 months.

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Thank you for the link and they are in a 60 gal tank. The Gouramis poked at them at first but they are not even messing with them now. And I agree they are pigs and will eat anything that falls in the tank ;)

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Another question is how do you keep track of the small fry? They are very good at hiding...

miguelitro

AC Members
Sep 23, 2004
San Diego CA
All i have is guppies/mosquito fish in my tanks(i think they are the same)
i feed them untill they breed healthily and essentially stop feeding them and they survive of plants, fry , algae,??? and the occasional blood worm snack.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
miguelitro, i would love to see some pics of your setup,,do you have any?

NDferro

MmMmM Cheese!
May 12, 2005
Everett, WA
id use one of these if you are keeping them with any other breed of fish
Net Breeder

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store