Guppys or White Cloud Mountain Minnows as Feeders for Axolotls?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
I was just wondering what you guys thought about using guppys or WCMM as feeders for my axolotls, just to keep them in the same tank, has anyone else had experience with this? Thanks.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Do you mean keep the feeders with the axolotls?

I think it depends on several things. First off is what temp are you keeping the axolotls at? Guppies are tropical while WCMMs are cold water fish. Also, how large is the tank? Is there anything else in the tank?

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
I have a few tanks, one of them is an empty 20l and one is my axolotls, but my LFS has coldwater guppies for sale so i was thinking of keeping a few with my axolotls and a few in the 20l, only the axolotls are in their tank.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Guppies are never coldwater fish. 20L is fine for keeping guppies but not big enough for white clouds. How big is the Axolots tank?

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
60 litre, theres only 2 teenage axies in there. in the LFS there are guppies in coldwater and they still breed like mad

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Well, I would upgrade that tank soon. As for feeders, white clouds would work in cold water but are quite fast and I think your axolotls would have trouble catching them. As for gupps, I suspect they are in cool water to control their numbers. The breed less in cold water which leads my to my next question. What temp are the axolotls at?

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
im not sure of the exact temp but about 16-19C i'd say.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I'd say that's too cold for guppies. you can always try tham but I think because of how cold it is they wouldn't be breeding enough and would soon be eaten, wiping out your breeding stock. I think white clouds are your best bet.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I just saw your other thread and thought you might be interested in this site:
http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm
It has a nice section on breeding them if you want to take a look.

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Oh, cheers for the link :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store