Had to euthanize Pacu's over the weekend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
I'd like to thank everyone here for their kind responses. I find myself thinking about the Pacu's a lot here at work. They were some big sob's, but I was really happy with them and I loved to watch them swim. To answer a few questions:

What are my plans for other fish?
Well, I have other fish that I'm equally fond of so I'm not looking for anything else currently. While I really miss the Pacu's, I just don't have the space for a 400 gallon tank so I won't be replacing them.

How's your television?
I let it sit overnight and this morning, VIOLA!! It came back on like nothing ever happened!

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
jagarundi said:
How's your television?
I let it sit overnight and this morning, VIOLA!! It came back on like nothing ever happened!
Good, I didn't think you'd be able to get that TV into a dishwasher. :)

iamchris

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
No, if it's just water with no (or little) minerals, just let it evaporate out and it should work fine after a day, assuming you haven't already tried to turn it on.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
A LFS near me has some huge pacus they keep in a 150 stock tank.

These fish are easily 18 to 25 inches.

Funny thing is they just sit there in the current of the filter and don't move much. I believe they've had these fish a very long time and they are not for sale.

I wouldn't buy a pacu cause like you said they need 250 at least.

They should still be sold to responsible fish keepers with the proper tank.

Banning them would be a dumb thing for the US and Canadian Govts to do.

JMHO.

lquinsey

catfishtress
Feb 6, 2005
Florida
I too was very touched by your sad experience. I can't think of anything harder than kill something you love and cared for. For that you are very brave and conscientous. You did the only thing you could do for these beautiful creatures. Even if you had found them another home, they would probably not be cared for as much as you. Don't beat yourself up over not doing the research. Most of us have not either and have made horrible mistakes, totally unintentionally. That is why we are here, trying to learn from our mistakes and to help others. This is the good that came from your horrible experience. You will certainly save untold others from suffering the heartache that you have. Take care, we all feel deeply for your loss.

thelemite

AC Members
Jan 3, 2005
i Feel for you.

I had 3 pacus in a 180 gallon tank that they of course outgrew. They were magnificent animals that were beautiful to look at. Personalities and a desire to eat ive never seen again. I am building a new home next year and might go for a 500 gallon tank in the basement.

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
My heart goes out to you....our Pacu is 25 years old and I'm not sure what I'll do when it's his time....

AquaGhost

AC Members
May 10, 2005
jagarundi, why don't you try the Silver Dollars, sort of a miniature version of the pacus that won't get any bigger than 5 or 6 inches in diameter. I have a couple of them and like them a lo. Just one problem though: they mowed all my live plants to the root!

Hi Debra: Yours fish is 25 year old? Wow...I did not realize a fish can live that long...How big is it now? Coffee-table size? ;)

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
hey Ghost....he's about 40 pounds.....just another reason for pet stores NOT to sell these fish....

PurpleSmurf

AC Members
May 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
purplesmurf.com
I saw two full grown pacu's packed into what must have been 29g - 35g at the most today at PetCo. Poor guys :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store