Hagen Glo replacement bulbs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sacrificetheory

AC Members
Jan 22, 2009
Wayne County, Kentucky
This might be a dumb question, but oh well.
A Hagen dual 24" HO fixture came with my marine tank and I was looking into getting new bulbs. The bulbs in the fixture are 22", do they have to be that size or will a 24" work?
With that, what bulb combo is the best for a soft coral tank?
I've been searching around the forum but couldn't find any concrete answers.

Also, if anyone remembers my last thread about my sick damsel, I got a Hydor Evo 750 PH and I'm running Chemipure Elite. Thank you very much to greech for referring me to BRS, I ordered the 4 stage RO/DI and it should be here within the next week. My nitrates are slowly but surely dropping.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
It is my understanding T5 bulbs with same wattage should be same length. Correct me if I am wrong.
If you can find 1 x 10K day + 1 x Act bulbs, this should be adequate lighting for most common corals. More the merrier though, especially with timer.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
If memory serves, Marine Glo is similar to actinic if not the same and Life Glo is not really for reef. If you are sticking to same brand, try T5 Power-Glo HO bulb, if avail.

It does not have to e Hagen product as long as you can find other 10K + Act T5 24 W HO bulbs out there.

Measurement of bulbs seems to be different on same bulb, depending on who measures or from where to where. I believe 24W are all same length bulbs.

Out of curiosity, what would you say is the diameter of the tube?

Pics possible?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The brands I would stick with include ATI, Korallen-Zucht (KZ), Giesemann Lichttechnik, UVL, and GE. Of those, ATI and Giesemann are probably the most popular.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
While this really doesn't help much, 24" bulbs are not actually 24" long. However, at the moment, I do not remember exactly how long they are. I'll see if I still have one and if so, I'll measure it for you.

sacrificetheory

AC Members
Jan 22, 2009
Wayne County, Kentucky
Thank you veryvery much! Your 90G reef is absolutely stunning, by the way. I'm amazed by some of the tanks on this forum. I am slowly working my way there. :D
I also love the natural look of the sea grass in your tank, Amp. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store