Hair Algea? (pic)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
I have a planted tank thats been up for a little over a month and have a lot of this hair like algea. Its greyish/white and in spots, like on the picture has gotten very thick.

I have since prunned my plants and removed most of this algea as it was very ugly. I know this won't fix the problem, but how can I get rid of it, my ottos don't seem interested in eating it at all. There are also small snails that came in with the plants, but they're not doing the job either.

FYI: my tank is a 20g with 55 watts and CO2.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Otos and whatnot don't normaly eat hair algae, I think you have to outcompete it for nutrients or continue to remove it physically.
good luck
:)

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
Thanks, although I was hoping for an easier solution. :D Would it help if I left the lights off for a few days?

I suppose I could also prune the plants down to almost nothing, although I don't want to do that with my Anubias Nana as it would never grow back.

AsahiToro

Fish Nazi
May 28, 2002
Lutz, Fl
Otos won't touch that. If you can find some true SAE's they will eliminate it. I had the same problem in a 58 and 1 3.5" SAE cleaned it all up. He was a maniac tearing it all off. It was like he died and went to heaven. I now have no hair algae problems. It will help if you reduce the light some for a short period till he has it cleaned up and also manually pull out any that falls to the substrate as he tears it off. For extended control, make sure your CO2/nutrients/lighting are right and toss some amano shrimp(caridina japonica) in there. They will nibble on the newer/smaller hair algae before it gets a chance to get out of control. Also, I have found out that cherry barbs will nibble on hair algae. One more option would be a Florida Flagfish. They can get a little testy with tankmates though so keep an eye on him. I'd go with the SAE/limit light route to start. HTH,

Scott

Panic

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Fleetwood, NY
Visit site
rebeccarollers- Siamese Algae Eater...

Best bet is probably a combination of out competing the algae for nutrients and having some fish that will take care of some of the algae...I had a similar problem in a 30g that was solved by adding DIY CO2 and florida flags...Mollies, in addition to previously mentioned fishes, will eat a little of this thread algae also...

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
rebeccarollers - Welcome to the board =) Check this link out for more info on SAEs.

Molino - What are your tank's conditions? Nitrates, pH and kh? Normally, if you keep your nitrates at 5-10ppm, keep your CO2 concentrations fairly high (15-20ppm via this chart) and keep up with pottassium, phosphate and trace dosing, algae outbreaks normally do not occur. SAEs will work at helping to control the problem, but they will not solve it. Finding the source of the problem, and cutting it off from there, however, will.

HTH
-Richer

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
MOLINO- this looks like exactly what I had in my brackish tank...what I have done recently to get rid of it is to keep the light off, and also my silver molly eats that sh|t like there's no tomorrow...perhaps you could get a molly (they can live freshwater, can't they?)

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
Thanks for all the suggestions Richer, Panic and AsahiToro. And welcome Rebecca.

Ok tank conditions: Ph 7.6 Kh: 70 ppm or 3.9 dH (I think you multiply 70*0.056?) And according to the chart CO2 is 3 , obviously not high enough. I don't unfortunately have a nitrate test, I may get one soon.

I can see with a lower Ph my CO2 would be much higher, should I get some peat? Or should I see if I can increase the KH somehow...

I've heard a lot of good things about SAEs. I'll have to see if I can find one.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Molino - peat will not increase your CO2 concentrations. The chart only works accurately without any other factors affecting pH involved. So the only solution would be to increase your CO2 concentrations. I'm assuming you are using DIY CO2? If so, try using a different method of diffusion... or, add another CO2 bottle to your tank.
A nitrate test kit is a must in a plant tank! Get one asap! =)

HTH
-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store