hair ball!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
i recently bought a plant called the marimo ball (algae ball). true to its name its round and green . but what i want to know is does it need special care like fertilisers etc? my algea ball has turn from its original brilliant green to a sickly green. has anyone tried keeping this successfully? thanks!

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
flourish products does that mean liquid fertilisers?

thanks for all your help!

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
flourish products does that mean liquid fertilisers?
Yes.
You can browse around the freshwater planted line here.

It is really easy, fairly expensive (so I'm told- doesn't seem extreme to me) and works very well for a low light/low tech planted aquarium. Best deals on it come from Big Al's- buy in bulk and it's not so bad.

Don't let the phrase "low light/low tech" put you off- these types of aquariums can be stunning.
Check out my freshwater planted tank link below.

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
Cearbhaill : thanks for the website! that is certainly alot of product! wonder if you could recommand the ones you use for your plant! thanks!

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I currently use Flourish Excel (daily)
Flourish Potassium (3x week)
Flourish Iron (3x week)
Flourish (3x week)

It took me a week of reading labels to figure out how much of what/when- then I found out that Seachem has a chart that you can get simply by emailing them and asking :eek: :eek: :eek:
After about one month I noticed a few problems and had to tweak things a bit.
All in all it has been easier than I thought it would be.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
wiah thats alot of fertilizer to buy for one plant! :eek: :D anyway, is there a more general one that you've used before that keeps the hair ball plant nice green and fluffy? thanks for your help!

btw i've seen that other thread. that guy must really have wanted to sell his plant to reduce to such weird and amusing tatics! :p at least it provided a source of amusement! to all!

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
wiah thats alot of fertilizer to buy for one plant!
Well- I'm feeding a whole tankload of plants, not just three algae balls.
Believe me- if there were a "one bottle does it all" plant food for aquariums I'd be using it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store