Hard water stains

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001
South Korea
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience cleaning hard water stains from their aquariums? If so what product did you use? I was thinking of this product.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't waste the money. I've used that before, and was not impressed at all. It didn't work--it hardly got any of the hard water deposits off, even with soaking and lots of elbow grease. I used most of a bottle with little results.

If you can't reduce the amount of surface agitation to avoid having deposits develop, try using something like oxyclean. You don't want to get it in the tank, but it works. You can mix up water and oxyclean and use a rag to get most of it off pretty quickly--better if you use hot water.

I've had decent results using a few of the orange cleaner products as well--and they are easier to apply.

I still use a razor blade when removing stains from the inside of the tank. The sprays and soaked rags are fine for outside stuff, and you can easily soak equipment. I just worry about dropping my rag into my tank, no matter what is on it.

Erynn

Ahhh weekends
Dec 4, 2002
Stoney Creek
There is also a product made by Jungle called Lime Off....it's aquarium safe...and basically what happens is the hard water crap just fizzes when you put the stuff on it and then it's gone. It's great....if you can find it.

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001
South Korea
Visit site
Originally posted by Erynn
There is also a product made by Jungle called Lime Off....it's aquarium safe...and basically what happens is the hard water crap just fizzes when you put the stuff on it and then it's gone. It's great....if you can find it.
Have you actually seen Jungle lime off work?

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
All these things are acids. Vinegar is acetic acid. Ask at your hardware store. How about Lime-Away?

OxyClean is a percarbonate. No detergent or soap in it, just hydrogen peroxide and soda ash. No toxic residues.

Um, this isn't an aquarium with fish in it, it's an empty fish tank with dried algae and mineral deposits. Please say yes...

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001
South Korea
Visit site
Originally posted by wetmanNY
All these things are acids. Vinegar is acetic acid. Ask at your hardware store. How about Lime-Away?

OxyClean is a percarbonate. No detergent or soap in it, just hydrogen peroxide and soda ash. No toxic residues.

Um, this isn't an aquarium with fish in it, it's an empty fish tank with dried algae and mineral deposits. Please say yes...
The aquarium does have fish in it but, I am trying to clean the (after removing it) glass canopy. That is why I'm looking for something non toxic that actually works. I thought of using lime away, but I would rather not take the chance.

TTman

AC Members
May 20, 2001
I got a cheap 29G tank that had BAD hard water staining... I tried razor, vinegar, iron wool to NO AVAIL. I just gave up & went ahead & filled it up..... once full u can't see the hard stains anymore, lols. 3 happy gold fish live in there in ;-)

kolopedo

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Visit site
Here in Minnesota we have really hard water....for the outside of the tank Windex sprayed on a paper towel has always been enough for me(for glass only/not acrylic).....for my canopy, all I've ever used was a razorblade and regular dishsoap to wash it with afterwards. Just remember to rinse thoroughly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store