Harlequin Shrimp Detailed Article

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Im ordering mine in the following days but i figured not alot of people on here know to much about them and i found this really great detailed article on them for anyone who wants to learn more about them!
The Care & Breeding of the Harlequin Shrimp

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Hope it helps anyone who was in my position or wanted to just learn more about this awsome species

zoakeeper

AC Members
Aug 9, 2009
the outback
Mine is the favorite of my tank. IT eats a chip a week. Measures almost 3" in length. Thanks for the article. I add iodine daily and this is one of the successes in its survival and growth.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
That is awsome man! do you think a single one would be okay in a 14 gal reef tank would be okay with one other scarlet shrimp one clown and a very small clown goby?

zoakeeper

AC Members
Aug 9, 2009
the outback
That is awsome man! do you think a single one would be okay in a 14 gal reef tank would be okay with one other scarlet shrimp one clown and a very small clown goby?
They seem to be pretty peaceful characters and as long as they have a starfish (chocolate is their fav) they pretty much just stay attached to it somewhere in the tank. When they are without a star they will soon learn where the next is coming from.
When mine goes for a few days without a starfish and it is not in molt it will hang out towards the front of the tank waiting for one to appear. They are really cool and do not bother any other tank mates, at least I have never seen them do so.
ANd yes, a 14gl is more than large enough as long as the parameters are all within norms.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Alright i ordered mine i very much wanted one for so long i got it from Live Aquaria and i got the small one. i sure hope he does okay!

Should i supplement iodine as well? and i think ill feed it once every 2 weeks until its an adult. and do i leave the whole thing in there while he eats it and does it eat the whole thing? would it be a problem with nitrates? sorry for the questions i like asking for first hand experiences as opposed to always articles thanks for all the help!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Bump

zoakeeper

AC Members
Aug 9, 2009
the outback
Alright i ordered mine i very much wanted one for so long i got it from Live Aquaria and i got the small one. i sure hope he does okay!

Should i supplement iodine as well? and i think ill feed it once every 2 weeks until its an adult. and do i leave the whole thing in there while he eats it and does it eat the whole thing? would it be a problem with nitrates? sorry for the questions i like asking for first hand experiences as opposed to always articles thanks for all the help!
I am no expert with these but I do add iodine for inverts according to the directions of the iodine I use. I use only products that are made for reef tanks bought in either reef shops of from online dealers that deal in reef supplies.
I feed mine a chip a week on average and it pretty much will not turn loose of the star until it is done with feeding on it which basically means the star is gone. I do not think you will have any problems with yours, just let it do its thing and you should be fine.
Don't be discouraged if you loose it, which is unlikely, but as the same for fish and corals, even humans, not all are healthy and meant to live a long life.
I have had mine for over a year and if it passes away I will count myself fortunate to have had it that long so be prepared as with any invert...we are keeking them in a small glass container remember and there are some that do well and others that do not do so well. Some species are difficult to keep, some are easy, the Harliquin is easy, but that doesn't mean we can't get one that has not been properly collected and so forth.
Good luck with yours and enjoy.
Remeber, you are going to have to feed it a chip a week or two and depending on where you are and the availability of stars, it could become expensive, keep this in mind.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Yea i am more then willing to take care of it for itll be my pride and joy, im going to buy a 8 gallon nano to house the star fish in and maybe ill even put him in there and let him have his own whole tank i can suppliment with iodine that way itll be a perfect enviroment for him and i wont have to worry about rotting or decaying starfish parts.

I just hope he does okay!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store