Has anyone here used Calcium Bentonite Clay in their aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I've been reading a lot of threads on frog related boards about creating backgrounds and water features with Calcium Bentonite Clay. Frogger's seem to love it because it harbors tons of springtails and other small insects, and those insects supposedly become calcium enriched from living in a high calcium substrate. The substrate that seems to be popular is a mix of clay, moss and peat and is meant to be kept damp once it's hardened to avoid cracking. Certain posters even seem to have waterfalls and drip walls using the stuff, and haven't had much problem with keeping their water clear if the clay is sufficiently hardened prior to adding the water flow. Plants are easily pressed into the soft background, and it has holding power enough for large broms and driftwood. Setting up a tank that would take days with foam can be done in hours. It seems like a great solution for vivariums, but I'm wondering if it would work well in a paludarium where there's a lot more water going on.

I'm curious if anyone's tried it, and what your opinions are on the calcium bentonite's affects on water quality and fish health. I'm also thinking it could be a benefit to snails and shrimp... But have nothing to go on. It's tough finding answers, since froggers rarely seem to care about the water quality in their viv's... and rarely have enough water to make a big difference.

Let me know what you know!

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
man i sort of want to know the answer to this too, imagine thought that because is calcium based (assuming that from the name) it make the water slightly more hard at the least other than that i would be interested. i just heard about this when some one from viv forums did something like this recently you might ask over there

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
well, once it cures, it's said to be pretty hard. During construction, maybe a little messy, but it couldn't possibly be as messy as using great stuff foam. Once you start carving foam, foam is everywhere.

also, yeah, I've read a ton of threads on the frog related boards... unfortunately, froggers really don't pay attention to their water quality, and don't mind a heavy stain in the water, so it's near impossible to find out if the clay creates an antagonistic environment in the water... at least through the frog peeople.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
http://www.koiclubsusa.com/subcat276.html

i have seen mention of kitty litter, a/s, soil master select and turface being similar in makeup. of course the kitty litter i'm assuming is calcium bentonite considering the brand i notice mentioned the most is just that afaik. something kitty... cheap red bag from wally world.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
no problem, mellow.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Are you wondering if the clay would dissolve over time? That's what I'm wondering...but perhaps the other ingredients would help it stay together.

As far as benefits for snails and shrimp, I think these definitely would be there. Dainichi foods contain CMC and are popular with cichlid, koi and goldfish hobbyists: http://www.dainichi.com/koi_food.html

I'm not sure fish need clay in their diet...but I'm sure shrimp and snails need it or something like it in their diet, since they are more prone to mineral deficiencies. And I'd feel much better feeding CMC than plaster of Paris!

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store