Has enyone seen a dwarf Gourami get this fat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
I would fast the tank for a day or two and switch to once a day feedings. Probably alternating the foods. Don't let them fool you, they always try to look hungry. ;)
I agree. That's what I kept trying to tell hubby's grandma. I think that she finally got the hint when the tank was always cloudy and there would be tons of food in the gravel in one week. I also had her switch from flakes to a sinking pellets. The fish are still fat but not as bad.

I thought that those were male dwarf gouramis fish-addict. I'm glad you mention that. I know at my store they only sell male dwarfs.

NYCguppydude

Guppy Addict
Dec 14, 2008
NYC,NY,10034
wildguppystore.com
Real Name
Andy G.
Females are dull coloured. That is a male.

Correct?
No that is not Correct.
From what I could tell males and females are usually nearly identical in color. The definite way of sexing them is by the fin shape in the males. Which are pointed anal,dorsal,and caudal fins as well as longer ventrals on the males. The females usually get a bit heavier carrying a large amount of eggs in her ovum.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
"This what Wikipedia and Animal Planet says:

" Besides the difference in color, the sex can be determined by the dorsal fin. The male's dorsal fin is pointed, while the female's is rounded or curved."

So both are right.

female  dwarf gourami.jpg

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
No that is not Correct.
From what I could tell males and females are usually nearly identical in color. The definite way of sexing them is by the fin shape in the males. Which are pointed anal,dorsal,and caudal fins as well as longer ventrals on the males. The females usually get a bit heavier carrying a large amount of eggs in her ovum.
"This what Wikipedia and Animal Planet says:

" Besides the difference in color, the sex can be determined by the dorsal fin. The male's dorsal fin is pointed, while the female's is rounded or curved."

So both are right.

The coloration differnce is not mistakable IME. There are other differences, but the genders are pretty dang obvious in DGs based on color alone. Unless you have the 1 out of a million wild caught individual in the hobby.

bcarm

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Waltham, MA
I posted this in another thread, male or female? The fins definitely seem more rounded to me, but it is definitely blue and not grey.

Sorry for the hijack.

dgourami1.jpg

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I posted this in another thread, male or female? The fins definitely seem more rounded to me, but it is definitely blue and not grey.

Sorry for the hijack.
Juvenile male.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
If memory serves, All DG, be it Powder Blue, Cobalt Blue or Red Flame, are all Colisa lalia. Just altered thru selective breeding. If not, genetically altered. Its been so long, I dont remember which. Such color morphs would not be found in their natural habitat w/ such colors. Thus even female can show such colors, IMO. .

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
If memory serves, All DG, be it Powder Blue, Cobalt Blue or Red Flame, are all Colisa lalia. Just altered thru selective breeding. If not, genetically altered. Its been so long, I dont remember which. Such color morphs would not be found in their natural habitat w/ such colors. Thus even female can show such colors, IMO. .
No, the gender (and therefore the color) is manipualted with hormones.

IME, no.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
No, the gender (and therefore the color) is manipualted with hormones.

IME, no.

Going back some 20+ yrs when it first appeared in hobby, i believe these are not naturally occuring colors. I dont think I have any old mag w/ such articles anymore, but it is true that even female can have such colors.
It is true that in naturally occuring specimens, colors/patterns will show definite differences.

CatawbaIslander

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Ohio
Well we have put the Gourami into the hospital tank. have done some research and not sure what to think anymore. He/She (dont really know) is really plump. His/Her Scales are looking kinda pineconed. Kinda hanging out at the bottom now. Well see how it goes. Not sure what to do. Feeling kinda helpless!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store