Have 3 community tanks; but am looking into predatory fish and would like to try a bichir

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MegaXan

AC Members
Aug 13, 2019
any information of feeding a juvenile, tank size/grow out tank size, temperature, PH, hardness etc.

any information would be helpful, but not intending on start the tank for a while just info gathering \

thank you

Jul 11, 2019
First off, what type of bichir?
If it stays in the 10-14 inch range, a 40 breeder would be acceptable
If it gets into the 14-18 inch range, a 75-90 would be acceptable
Anything above that and you are looking at a 125+
Secondly, for temperature high 70s to low 80s,
Third, a relatively neutral pH is good (6.5-7.5), harness doesn't matter too much, just keep it stable.

MegaXan

AC Members
Aug 13, 2019
im getting a Dinosaur Bichir
and when I get it its gonna 3 inches and I got a 20 breeder bare bottom with a hide as a grow out/temporary tank till I can get it a bigger permenant tank that's like 55 60 gal; what foods should I get it? also is itfine if the tank doesn't have a light?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think bichirs are very cool fish! But I've never tried 1or more because the get so long, 12-18 inches. A friend keeps 2 or 3 in a 6ft tank...tightly covered! I'd guess a 90g is just a starter tank for 1 or 2...& they're predators, so what will you be able to keep with them? That's my issue with them...& I like loaches so much better, lol.

A 20g is not even a short term tank for these fish, a few weeks at most. Don't get even 1 until you have a MUCH bigger tank available. Young fish of large species should grow fast with lots of good foods & lots of water changes. It may take a year or even 3 but that's a minimum!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store