Have You Ever . . .

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Have you ever forgotten to declorinate your water?

• Yes, I did and killed all my fish

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes, I did but only killed 1 or more fish

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Yes, I did but caught it in time and no fish died

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • No, I have never forgotten

Votes: 61 59.8%

• Total voters

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Interesting. I just assumed that *everyone* (well, except those with well water) used dechlorinator, even if they used aged water.

I lost the fish was because it was my little hospital tank. I was so worried about her I wasn't thinking. I did a 60% water change and forgot :( I put the sick fish in and she died while I was trying to add the dechlorinator. She was pretty stressed, but not near death. I'm sure the stress hastened her demise and made her succumb to the chlorine so fast.

I'm such an idiot.

Roan

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I've forgotten and nothing happened (on 50% changes none-the-less).

Insomniac, if you're worried about heavy metals, you should get your (I assume) well water checked. You don't want to be drinking many of them either :).

cyberbeer65

Scratch Glass!
Jan 29, 2005
Metro Detroit
www.myspace.com
Camera Used
Galaxy S10 Plus
I pour straight city water in my tanks all the time,I have never lost a fish.
There should have been an other option,to the poll.

hunnysnax

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
sydney australia
i haven't... but when me and my bf started out we didn't knwo to add water of the same temp and just added cold decolrinated water!!!! it would have been funny if the clown loaches hadn't got ich and died (they hide and we didn't know they were sick until it was too late :(

hayley

cyberbeer65

Scratch Glass!
Jan 29, 2005
Metro Detroit
www.myspace.com
Camera Used
Galaxy S10 Plus
hunnysnax said:
i haven't... but when me and my bf started out we didn't knwo to add water of the same temp and just added cold decolrinated water!!!! it would have been funny if the clown loaches hadn't got ich and died (they hide and we didn't know they were sick until it was too late :(

hayley
Unmatched tempature water dosen't introduce ICH into a tank.You had to have other Issues happening.

TetraBotia

AC Members
Nov 23, 2005
Roan Art said:
Interesting. I just assumed that *everyone* (well, except those with well water) used dechlorinator, even if they used aged water.

I lost the fish was because it was my little hospital tank. I was so worried about her I wasn't thinking. I did a 60% water change and forgot :( I put the sick fish in and she died while I was trying to add the dechlorinator. She was pretty stressed, but not near death. I'm sure the stress hastened her demise and made her succumb to the chlorine so fast.

I'm such an idiot.

Roan
That is sad Roan. I hear ya. I have a story I might be willing to tell that shows how stupid I was, even after years of doing this, and my gut said "don't do it", I still did it, and paid a price...

Even well informed aquariasts make mistakes.

As to your question, I don't use dechlorinator as I use a DI filter. I have been known to toss small inconsequential amounts of unprocessed water into a tank though.

I would be willing to, under healthy curcumstances and being lazy, throw 5 gallons of untreated water at 60 degrees into a 65 gallon... but I do put it in very slowly...

Such a heathen I am...

hehehe

TetraBotia

AC Members
Nov 23, 2005
Roan Art said:
accidentally forgotten to add declorinator to your tank and killed some or all of your fish?

I didn't make this a public poll, so please be honest in your answer. I'd like to know if I'm the only one who had a brain fart in the past :(

Roan
You know, I just answered this poll and post thread, and after doing so, remembered a mistake I made in the past year, with a CO2 needle valve, and direct diffusion into a Magnum 350... I almost killed about 70 fish in 20 minutes.. it was incredibly stressfull, the situation, to fix it... I thank God my wife was sitting at the table near the tank when the fish started acting funny, because the toxicity had risen so high so fast due to the failure of the valve that I almost lost all of the fish.

Luckily, because I knew what to do and worked hard and fast for about an hour, I saved all but 5 fish... even though, to this day, one Pristella has a bulged out eye on one side of his head from the "accident"...

It was like freakin Chernobyl...

I turned off CO2 forever, for good, after that... and I had been using it successfully for a while prior to that.

Real easy to screw up a tank (the fish, anyway) with CO2 if something goes out of whack.

ksimmo1

AC Members
Aug 28, 2005
Baltimore, MD
TetraBotia said:
Real easy to screw up a tank (the fish, anyway) with CO2 if something goes out of whack.
Up until 6 months ago I never added dechlorinator. With all the time and money I spend on the tank, I figured "better safe then sorry"...so I started using it on big water changes. Besides the peace of mind that I get by doing it, I've never seen any effects by using it or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store