Have you seen this coral before?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Duno, but ive read that in a few articles, my buddy thought his slid down off a rock. Didnt know if it was a snail ect. Probly the coral lol.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Exactly, They inflate and can manipulate the flesh on the underside to move. It is not uncommon to see this species move 10 feet in a day. I typically find these at about 25 feet deep. Dont worry about having them close to the light as lighting is not as important as it would be to most SPS corals etc. They do prefer a sand bottom. Placing them up on the rocks may damage the underside of these as well as the ability to "fall" off.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Wow dale, I remember reefscapes from way back when I was on alot and jinkzd was just starting with selling cherries and snails lol, o how thats grown. But diving ect and where you live, thats pretty cool.

Will it adhere to the bottom of the tank tho like a plate coral? I see some that die when you try and peel em off.

Dale W.

Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
:)
Yah, I thought I would pop by and see what is going on at the ol AC. I haven't been here for quite awhile. I saw a couple of threads here that I couldn't resist posting to so I did. Did you go by the same name back then? When I was stopped by a couple years back I saw that someone else had used the Reefscape name. Thought it was kinda funny when it popped up.

BTW, they wont adhere to the bottom. If you have a shallow sand or bare bottom tank, they can "stick" but in general, no.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
If it has more than one mouth than my name is indeed sally and i stand corrected. Didn't see that in the original picture.

Dale W.

Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Aloha Sally, :)

No, really though, it is hard to tell on some of them. Most of the Fungia have a well pronounced "mouth" in the center but there a few such as F. valida that are not as well pronounced. The ridge lines also tend to be more symetrical to the center on fungia rather than slightly different directions as is with Halomitra and Sandalolitha sp. The picture that Ace posted here is an exceptional picture of an undisturbed Halo.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
I wouldnt call you sally, you cant see them in the my pic, its all angry and closed up. Its almost all bubbly and happy now.

So stick and adhere??, if it sticks Im not guna kill it if I try and move it?

And ya ive always gone by this name.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store