Heat only for ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jeninok

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
Can anyone comment on success or failure with using heat alone to treat Ich?

I have a mild case of ich in my tank, It must have been dormant in one of their gills because no one new has been added for several weeks.

Since I have mostly tetras and some other sensitive fish such as otos, and a pearl gourami as well as tons of plants I have decided to try to treat with heat only.

Right now the temp is up to 30C and i pointed the powerhead up at the surface as well as lowering the water a little bit to increase splash.

Can anyone comment on success with using heat alone to treat Ich?

knight4th

AC Members
Jan 29, 2010
i agree, heat only speeds up the lifecylce, when ich is attached to the fish its in its tomite stage and cannot not be killed, it can only be treated when its in its trophont stage where it is floating in the water column, adding salt will help, you could do salt baths as well, or add an anti parasitic with the addition of heat

jeninok

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
So the studies showing that temps above 86 stop the ich from repoducing are incorrect?

I have salt that I can add, maybe at 2 tsp per 5 gallons to start?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Ich is very easy to treat with salt/heat,or meds. Your fish and plants will be fine with either. It would be best to treat it quickly and correctly. Heat alone won't work.

Tom.E

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
New York, USA
Some have had good results with heat only. The only question is if they got them all or were setting themselves up for later ICH outbreaks due to unnoticed subclinical infections.

I would use more salt than 1 tsp per 5 gal. Most plants and FW fish can handle more than that.

And regardless if you use salt or ICH medications, try to set the tank temperature to 85 F. ICH theronts are directly affected by heat. Their lifespans in the water column can range from days to hours depending on the water temperature. One report I read had theronts surviving only 10 hrs at 82 F (28 C) (Matthews). Even at 75 F survival rates dropped to 1% of the total excystment population after 20 hrs (Lom & Dykova). So warmer tank temperatures alone do influence the time of infectivity by theronts.

Tom

Last edited:

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Most people will use the heat/ salt method, but ich can be killed with heat alone. The reason that it isn't used much is because that the temps needed to kill the parasite with heat alone can be detrimental for the fish as well because thehighbtemperatures reduce dissolved oxygen in the water

jeninok

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
Well using heat and alt has worked wonderfully and I have seen no trace of spots since the third day with no loss of life, either plant or fish. I will never go back to using medicine to treat ich again.

I am keeping the temps raised and the salt levels up through friday to make sure the Ich is really gone this time, it must have been living in the gills of some of the fish and only popping up every so often.

That will make it almost 7 days since the last time I saw a spot on any fish, should I go even longer just to make sure since this has been an ongoing problem?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Heat will do it..but as jm noted, usually at a cost of life to the fish. IMO, folks who claim to have done it with heat alone are just driving it back to sub-levels that pop up later.

However, salt and heat are a proven combination. Shhot for 2 teaspoons per gallon....works like a champ.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store