Heating Ideas Needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
When warmer weather hits, I know this won't be an issue but in the mean time, the lab coat is still on and the project must move forward.

I have a couple projects on the burner which involve small 1g tanks. They are being lit by a standard 15w aquarium light. With the light at the side of the tanks, the temp is currently around 74F.

What I'm looking to do is actually increase the temp to right around 80F. I'm just not sure of what would be a good way to do this. I can't put individual heaters in these small tanks.

Any other good thoughts out there they may help boost the temp up?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Stick them all next to each other and use a space heater?

robott

lalalala la la la
Jan 31, 2009
da murder mitten
i have no idea how safe this would be, or how much difference it would make, but maybe a combination of those root heater mats for getting seeds to grow and a piece of glass to make sure it's dry? meh. i don't know

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
if you are filtering, perhaps you can make a sump small enough to take a conventional heater and run that warmer water into each tank, and overflow back to sump.

or

get an electrical heating blanket and place a plastic sheet over it and put all tanks on top

how many tanks are we talking here.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
or i kept snakes at one point in my life and i used heating pads, its two sheets of heavy duty foil with a long strip of insulated cable/element running through it you could pull the cable out and sigsag it into each tank - problem it has no regulator but you by trial and error(hopefully not) can adjust how much of this cable you put in each tank until you get what you looking for.

robott

lalalala la la la
Jan 31, 2009
da murder mitten
or what about a heat lamp that is above all of them, clear ones are available, either at the pet store, or the hardware store.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
A heat lamp would be too intense.

I'm kinda liking the electric blanket idea.

Currrenlty have (3) tanks to be expanding to (6). Small footprints make it more manageable.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
A heat lamp would be too intense.

I'm kinda liking the electric blanket idea.

Currrenlty have (3) tanks to be expanding to (6). Small footprints make it more manageable.
There should be about 1 meter of canble wound up in a heat pad, you can solder ordinary lamp cable to each end to extend to your plug point.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
How about putting the small tanks into a bigger one, or even a deep enough tray, filling the larger tank with water and sticking a heater in there?
+1. this is how some betta breeders keep their individual jars warm enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store