Hello and Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hopemckay

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2014
Hello,
Although I have been reading posts and advice on this site for a while now, I just joined as a member. I have been keeping South American Cichlids for about 3 years, have learned by trial and error, lfs advice, and internet research. My current problem is Flowerhorn aggression. I have had a Flowerhorn, Midas, Jack Dempsey, and Firemouth getting along just fine in a 120 gallon tank for over a year. My Midas is now in a hospital tank, and I don't expect her to survive. Since I removed the Midas, the Flowerhorn seems to want to kill the other 2, especially my beautiful Jack Dempsey (my favorite). I'm not sure what happened. They used to swim to the top to greet me and beg for food together. I have asked lfs to take the Flowerhorn; but they don't have room (it's huge) Does anyone know if this "mood" will pass, It has been about 2 weeks. The Jack Dempsey and Firemouth have split fins and scrapes and don't come out except a mad dash for some food. Any advice is appreciated.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Many large cichlids have a personality that will change as they grow and mature. Especially so with Flowerhorns, IMO. If you can't find a home for it, you may be faced with tough choices, such as which fish you prefer more....

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I agree. Flowerhorn are best left in a tank to themsepves due to agression. As said before you may soon be stuck wih tough choices.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I concur with previous members. You have a decent-sized tank, but have combined fish that frankly should not be together as this tank is not sufficiently large enough for this combo. The Flowerhorn is a single-fish in the tank species, unless the tank is very large. And even if the JD and Firemouth continue as you describe, without being killed, they are under enormous stress and this weakens them physiologically and they will not be able to withstand this torment indefinitely. The Flowerhorn must be removed, or the other fish must.

A quick comment on this appearing to have worked up to recently. This is very common, and leads some aquarists into a false sense that they can go against the general advice. But seldom does this last. Fish placed into a new environment are usually prone to "check out the lay of the land" as it were, and seldom exhibit their inherent behaviours. But once they become settled, this changes. Usually they become "normal," though sometimes they become reticent which is a bad sign in itself. We cannot change fish behaviour; it is the way nature set it out for the species, and we will always do wisely to assume the norm. Good luck.

Byron.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Well put Byron. I've raised a lot of fish in my time and have found this to be the norm and the exception. I will admit I have had and do have some strange tank mates, but it is a consistent worry each day making sure somebody did not decide to kill everyone. If people want to try these things, they need to be ready to move fish around. In other words they need a few spare tanks up and running.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Could you put the Flowerhorn in the hospital tank and the MIdas back in the main tank? Then the other fish will be out of danger and you will have some time to rehome the Fowerhorn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store