hello. first time posting here...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kris04

AC Members
Oct 6, 2006
WA
well, i am new. i just began looking at sites recently and found this one and liked it so here i am.
i just started saltwater tanks this year. I have done freshwater for over eight years and decided when i set up tanks after our move to go saltwater. I have currently three tanks running as saltwater right now; one is for my sick fish and new ones.
I recently lost my banded cat shark and no one is truly sure as to the reason why. he was only a month and half old. so i am currently upset about that loss.
I have a snowflake eel that is doing well and getting bigger on us. and in the 55 gallon tank I have: firefish, yellow Tang, Lawnmower Blenny, Neon blue Damsel, and my true Clownfish...with a Green Brittle Star. They are all doing well and are a sucess! going to be moving the Damsel and Firefish soon when we get another shark to replace the lost one; which will be later. I am a fan of unique fish as I am new to saltwater I have alot more types of fish to chose from and am enjoying it immensily.
As this is my first post I hope I have introduced myself sufficiently. If not I am sure someone will let me know. That is usually what happens with such things if I am correct.

Tesla_HV

AC Members
Jul 7, 2006
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information and expertise available here and some interesting conversation among friends. :hi:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
hi, Kris! Welcome aboard.

Sharks don't tend to do well in captivity, so I try to discourage private parties from attempting it. Most die, either because they won't eat, or just because they're unhappy. I think those are really best left to display aquariums or education/research facilities.

But I didn't mean to sound discouraging! I think you'll find that most everyone here is friendly and knowledgable, always willing to help :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome!

Kris04

AC Members
Oct 6, 2006
WA
Thank You for the Welcome!
As to the shark he was doing fine and my lfs couldn't figure it out. I have researched quite a bit before buying one for my own....he ate well and did well for over a month. this leads me to believe the substrate was too rough and he got infected. The substrate was on advice from lfs so since he was in with same type I sadly went along with that advice. Otherwise I knew I would end up getting a larger tank for the shark and I knew the feeding schedule.
Otherwise all my other fish are doing terrific and my eel is very well. I learned to read up way more than I normally would as the advice is spotty on saltwater fish from stores sometimes..not all but some.
I am thinking of coral sometime soon since I have not done that as of yet and I have room in my bigger tank.
I am not easiely discouraged by any advice and I am sure I will not try sharks very soon if I do that again at all. Besides which I would upgrade to the larger tank right off with some sand substrate this time for sure. But I will heed your friendly advice and I am thinking of no sharks at this time at the very least.
again thankyou for the advice and welcome!

Kris04

AC Members
Oct 6, 2006
WA
well, thank you for the welcome and I hope to be able to give help on my experiences where I can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store