Hello, mind if i ask why no one seems to sell Muppies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lagoonheart

Registered Member
Sep 3, 2017
I wouldn't buy them because they would be a hybrid; others may not want them because they may be sterile.
so i thought there were people who just wanted pretty fish that dont harass each other to breed. (that's how i started out)

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
There are people that just want pretty fish and don't care about the lineage or whether they are hybrid or not. Half the enjoyment of keeping fish is seeing them spawn and raise fry and then being able to share offspring with other aquarists that want that same ability.

Reactions: OrionGirl

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are lots and lots of pretty fish that don't harass each other to breed constantly already available on the market. Heck, that's why male guppies outsell female guppies. Hybrids are a tough sell for most people unless they are fantastically gorgeous with nothing comparable available. From what I can tell, muppies aren't that pretty, certainly not prettier than the source stock. Most people who get livebearers do so because they want fry--otherwise, they get just males. No need to get hybrids.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
so i thought there were people who just wanted pretty fish that dont harass each other to breed. (that's how i started out)
A sterile fish only means no result comes of the activity, it doesn't mean they don't harass each other to breed.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Also think about price..

The sort of folks who would likely want to sell to are likely to be beginners, so a large part of the decision is going to be the price.

Will you be able to produce fish in large enough volume and at a low enough price to compare with what you can get for a dollar each at the big box stores?

If you do want to hybridize animals, you may find dwarf shrimp to be a lot more lucrative. Otherwise your efforts might be better off maintaining a species from the CARES priority list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store