Hello, newbie with a question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hamish

Registered Member
Jun 4, 2010
I have started a fishless cycle on June 24, the tank size is 37g.

I had to start the cycle with shrimp, could not find pure ammonia to save my life( it always had fragrance and or surficants- I hope I spelled that correctly).

Anyway when the shrimp got the ammonia up to about 6ppm I thru in seeded filter media, but I got an ammonia spike of about 8ppm. I had read that high of a number could kill off any good bacteria you've added so I did a 50% water change and got i down to 4ppm but it spiked again so I took out the shrimp. I also read to add fish food wich I had been doing. I've continued with the fish food and my numbers as of this A.M. are-

Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrite between .50ppm and 1ppm, Nirtrate 20ppm.

Wanted to know if it would be ok to add live plants at this point or wait.

Thanks for your help and this great site.

Hamish

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes, you can definitely add plants.

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
Plants are not effected by an uncycled tank like fish and invertz are, so it is safe to add plants. They will actually aid in cycling the tank.
Jake

hamish

Registered Member
Jun 4, 2010
As of this A.M. the ammonia was 0ppm nitites were .25 -.50ppm nitrates at 20ppm.

I guess I'm comming to the end the cycle?

mikeb210

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Yep, sounds like you're well on your way. If you can find a bottle of bioculture, that would speed things along. Id give another week or so and start adding some hardy fish after a water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store