HELP!!! 50 fantail fry!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hermionie

AC Members
Aug 17, 2008
I am not sure that this is in the right place but please move if not!

The day before yesterday my fantail fry hatched, that I have been keeping in a large shallow tupperware box on my coffee table! Now 3 hatchlings has turned into about 50 over night:eek:!!! Some are now swimming and starting to look for food so I have added a tiny ammount of hard boiled egg yolk to the box! I plan to visit my local aquatics centre later today to get some proper baby fish food too!
Now is there anything important I should be doing to sustain the growth and health of my tiny charges....this is my first time with fry so any help would be wonderful!

Many thanks! :goldfish:

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I didn't pay out for fry food, just ground up regular fish flake and some other foods i had in to a fine powder. With my fry (guppies) i feed 3-4 times a day. Do you have any filtration in the box? that many fry will produce a fair ammount of waste lol. Other than the regular feeding i pretty much dont need to do anything else with mine. Not sure about fantails tho.

Regular water changes too... almost forgot that bit. his is a must due to the need to feed often and the fact that they produce a lot of waste.

Good luck :)

Hermionie

AC Members
Aug 17, 2008
Many thanks!!!:grinyes:

There is no filtration in the box but I am doing water changes using a plastic kitchen ladle and a litre clear plastic jug (takes me ages but I am sure its worth it) I am replaceing the water with freshly cycled water from my main 180 liter tank!
Should I use tap water instead?

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
may be an idea to add an airstone or something for now, but a sponge filter may be the way to go. That will avoid them being sucked into the filter but keep the filtration up, I use tap water in my tank. With the de-chlor obviously. And dont bother with a shallow box. I have a 20 long fry tank, and a deep tuperware box that is currently houseing a breeding experiment lol.

Hermionie

AC Members
Aug 17, 2008
Thank for the excellent info and I will get an airstone, today!!

I am checking on them every 30 mins, and will post some piccies later today!

Cheers!

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
hehe cute

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store