Help cycling my planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
I'd like to know the proper way to cycle my planted tank. For substrate I have used Scotts Premium Topsoil mixed 50/50 with API First Layer Laterite topped with 30lbs of eco-complete in my 28g tank. The AquaClear 50 filter is in along with all of its bio media. I have the light and heater installed as well of course. On top of that is a few plants. I was told I should have 75% plant coverage, I do not have quite that many plants yet though, Its looking more like 30/40% coverage at the moment. What do I need to do to cycle this tank? I have been told that I can just leave it alone for a few days and it will cycle on its own Because of the Eco-Complete and soil and plants. I have had the tank setup and running for nearly 2 days. But for piece of mind I just want to know if this is a good way to cycle the tank.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I use AquaBella Bio-Enzyme Water Treatment to cycle my tanks. Works great. It seeds the tank with a blend of BB to enable you to start stocking your tank in just a few days. Pets Supplies Plus sells it in my area. Great for new folks.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
You can seed it as mentioned but get more plants as recommended. A plant tank doesn't cycle like a fish only tank. The plants will utilize the ammonia and nitrite as primary nitrogen sources so you won't get the traditional "spikes" as you would in a fish only tank. You still want to add your chosen Fauna slowly. You want more plants in there to suck up all the initial nutrients that will be produced. The plants will out compete an algae that may be trying to establish a foothold as higher plants are more efficient in utilizing these nutrients. Did I say get more plants? ;)

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Cycling a planted tank is about the same as an unplanted one. Yes the plants will suck up most of the nitrogen in the tank but not always at first. This is because there is something called transplant shock. This is the period of time it takes for plants to adjust to a new environment. They also need to heal from the damaged cause by moving them. Depending upon the species this could talk a few days or a few weeks (infamous crypt melt).

The best practise is to do a fishless cycle just like an unplanted tank. This will get a bacteria colony built up that will remain in the tank and assist the plants when the ammonia levels get high (fish dies and is hidden in the plants etc..) remember once the bacteria are established they can survive for a very long time with little food.

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Not to send you to another forum bht check out www.plantedtank.net. There are many threads on this topic. Cycling with soil is not the same as cycling a tank with just plants and gravel. Plantedtank should be a great resource for you.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Actually it is the same process the timline is usually greatly compressed.

Add in ammonia & wait for it to be converted to nitrate or disappear. When 4ppm can be converted or disappear in 24 hours. I've got a dirted planted tank I just set up now.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree::iagree: as THE V stated..you need to add a source of nitrogen and test the results.
in planted tanks(established plants) this is called a 'silent cycle'. in an established planted tank the ammonia(nitrogen) will be consumed by either plants or bacteria.. the only way to monitor is to add ammonia and test the results

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
:iagree::iagree: as THE V stated..you need to add a source of nitrogen and test the results.
in planted tanks(established plants) this is called a 'silent cycle'. in an established planted tank the ammonia(nitrogen) will be consumed by either plants or bacteria.. the only way to monitor is to add ammonia and test the results
What do I buy to add a source of nitrogen?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store