Help dial in light/ferts for 30gal planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

listentoosoft

AC Members
Dec 18, 2020
Hey I have a 30 gallon tank (16" depth) with a "current usa satellite freshwater led plus pro" light. Substrate is inert caribsea naturals sand.

I put in root tabs and planted stuff about 3 months ago:

10-15 small stalks of Alternanthera Rosanervig
5 anubias petite
2 Nymphaea rubra
1 red tiger lotus

I just tossed out a mass of java moss that I was trying to grow on the wood that was getting overrun with hair algae. I am also starting to notice other types of algae beginning to appear slowly.

I have been using light 8 hours a day at full blast, and dosing 2x daily dose of seachem excel (5ml) + 2.5ml of aquarium coop easy green, then doing a weekly 50% water change.

Tank is fairly stocked with 15x neons, 8x rasbora, 3 swordtails, 2x corydoras, 2x yoyo loaches.

I have a fluval 207 and clean it once a month.

Plants themselves are happy other than the moss, putting on new growth etc.

I know I need to adjust something. I think I have been too liberal with my feedings so that is an easy fix.

Questions
- What should I do w/respect the light? Should I dial down the intensity / shorten the photo period? I'
- Should I stop the daily easy green dose and just stick with the excel?
- What else would you suggest?

Last edited:

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
In order to answer the question, you need test the pH, KH, NO3 and PO4 and check how many Lumens the light is.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Too much light
Not enough fast growing plant mass Could use CO2

Also looks like you have anubias in the substrate, it's an epiphyte and should be attached to rock or wood, at least the rhizome should not be buried.

Pretty sure you can turn down your light, I would say 50% or less would be good, or make sure there is no ambient light.

listentoosoft

AC Members
Dec 18, 2020
Ok, Anubias are attached to wood. The wood is pushed into the substrate a little but I made sure not to bury the rhizomes. Should I move them?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you are sure they are good, then they are good. Difficult to tell from a photo.

I would leave the photoperiod alone. You need around 8+ hours of light for photosynthesis to start.

Lower light intensity to 50%

Add something cheap and fast growing like water sprire it doesn't have to be permanent and is easy to remove.

I would maybe try a deeper clean on your filter and vacuum the gravel well to remove any dissolving organics.

Again, check for any natural light.

Not sure about easy green,what all it has in it, but with the plants you have, it cannot hurt to stop for now.

I don't like using Excel but no reason to stop it, it will work as an algaecide.

You can try a blackout too, but it wil likely come back.

My money is on it being by a big window or something.

listentoosoft

AC Members
Dec 18, 2020
Yea, definitely it's an open floor plan and the area does get ambient light from the far windows. I will make a shroud for it to block everything from the room when the lights are off.. I lowered intensity to 50% and will make those other changes.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That is a relatively high output LED fixture for this size/height of tank. I've got a ~5yr old or so current satellite LED+, which is less lumens /gal than yours over my 55gal and it's growing rooted and rhizome plants quite well.

The only other thing to add to all the excellent advice above is the anubia and java fern tend to be very slow growers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store