Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Guppies Dying One By One (Photo)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Illness and Disease' started by Falconfree, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Falconfree

Falconfree AC Members

Aug 11, 2017
    Hi, my guppy tank has been having issues for a few months now, as my adult guppies have been dying off one by one.

They will be listless and floating near the intake the night before, and in the morning they'll be dead. I've lost 4. This started after the 55 gallon tank they were in cracked, and I moved them into a 20 long, with the same gravel and filter (a canister filter for 75 gallon tank, so I turned the out go down a little in such a smaller tank).

The water parameters are 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, 20 ppm nitrate. Low PH.
    The tank is medium to heavily planted, no decorations.

There are 2 female guppies, 2 male guppies, 2 nerite snails, and maybe a couple dozen little guppy fry. I know it is overstocked (or will be soon), our local pet store says they are having a tank sale soon so I'm hoping to get another big tank.

I started treating the tank with salt (1/2 tsp per gallon twice a day for 3 days, per a guppy ailments website). Yesterday was day 3. One of the girls is swimming oddly today, like she is tail heavy. Her gills also look a little red. Ideas?

20170809_152821.jpg

2. Falconfree

Falconfree AC Members

Aug 11, 2017
    Oh, and the tank is heated to 77 degrees. This is also the first of the guppies that has exhibited this bent spine look. It is possible the rest did it sometime during the night, since they all died during the night though.

3. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Thursday at 12:14 AM
    Jessica
    Low PH? Guppys like a higher PH. What is low?

4. Falconfree

Falconfree AC Members

Aug 11, 2017
    I know they prefer higher, but it sounded like they are pretty adaptable. Is that not right? Most the places I read said messing with low Ph is more trouble than it is worth. I use the API master test kit, and it comes back 6.0. It is also fairly hard. Dang Florida water. :/

Another adult guppy is now exhibiting a bent spine too (his has always bent slightly bent, but it is worse as of tonight). He also appeared to have a tiny red spot on his tail, but I couldn't get a good look.

5. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Thursday at 12:14 AM
    Jessica
    6 is way to low for guppys, 7 is much better. The bent spine is not caused by your PH though.

6. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Today at 10:52 AM
    Tiff
    The gills look red to me and the fins appear a bit tattered. I don't think treating with that low an amount of salt is really going to help much. You should be upping it to about a tbls/5 gallons to get any value out of a salt treatment. My first thought is Mycobacterium. We recently had an infection of this in some of our zebra fish and they had the same symptoms. Its basically present in all freshwater aquaria but when the fish get stressed they can be open to attack, the sudden move caused by the crack in the tank would seem like a likely source of the initial stress. We had some luck with kanamyacin, but you could also try tetracycline. Don't even try penacillin as it is so overused in the US (fish farms) that most freshwater bacteria are resistant to it. But that would be my best guess.

7. Falconfree

Falconfree AC Members

Aug 11, 2017
    Her fins were like that when I got her, they've actually been looking a little better. I should have mentioned that, since you can see it in the pic. I'll go pick up some more salt and antibiotics. Thanks!