Help...How can I convince them?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
How does the filter work? I mean, will it be electrical? So I'd need to plug it into a wall?
It involves submersible pumps. You'd have to find some long extension cords and make sure the cords are not to be chewed by rats, raccoons, etc.

Folks, let's just respect the situation. We are not ones to dictate the terms and we can only suggest or share what happens in this situation. This is a subjective topic beyond our scopes.;)

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Ok, I have extension cords.. would I need a submersible pump, or does the filter have a built in submersible pump?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Also, how often should I do water changes in a 1,459 gallon pond with 4 commons and 2 comets (if that really is what they are. And eventually I'll get them some more "friends", but for awhile it'll only be them)? Like should it be done weekly and if so how many gallons do i take out weekly? And the filters I've seen will say something like "1,000 GPH" and since the pond will be more than 1,000 gallons, do I get the next filter up (let's say the next one up is 5,000 an hour) or would that be too much?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
The OP is asking for help, our advice, and some specific information.... not for insults. Replies that are worded in an offending manner will be removed, so please consider your tone and word choice when posting your comments.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
Folks, let's just respect the situation. We are not ones to dictate the terms and we can only suggest or share what happens in this situation. This is a subjective topic beyond our scopes.;)
sometimes the best advise you can give someone is not what they want to hear. that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

to the op... do some research

read and read until you understand. if you can't understand the directions, you aren't going to be able to do the project. you need to know the best ways to do every step of the set up, how most ponds are planned and why they use different strategies. you need to find out where the best place to put the pond is, not only based on where there is a hole. have you thought about slope? high and low points in the yard? is the yard completely fenced in? are you going to plant? do you know where all the wires and pipes are in your yard before you dig? where will you find a pond liner that large? how will you get it home and set it up by yourself? it's gonna be heavy.. you need to get the ground ready for the pond, it's more than just digging a hole, throwing in a liner and adding water. are you going to use gravel for the bacteria to live on to help break down waste. what are the costs on that? how will you get it home? it will be heavy, not to mention expensive. there are probably a few hundred more questions you have never thought of.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
You don't do water changes on a pond. You need to do the research as you have been told. A pump will cost about $200-$400. The electrical cost on it will likely be around $50.00 a month or more. The filtration unit will run $300+ media which will need to be changed monthly. You will also need plants to aid in the water chemistry. A GFCI to prevent an electrical short that could back feed to the house and burn it down needs to be used. A common extension cord is not adequate for the load it will carry or the distance needed. It needs to be a 12/3 or greater depending on the amperage needs of the pump. Add in some piping/hoses to and from the pump.

No, planning a pond is not "quick, easy, or cheap". It is more than just digging a hole and filling it with water. You will also need a pond liner that will run about $200+/-, you might be able to get if for less.

There is no other choice than to research all the pond's requirements. Having a pond means dedicated work and maintenance. You cannot compare tank maintenance to pond maintenance. They are completely different.

$100 is not going to cover your expenses. $1000 will get you closer to your dream of a pond. You will also need to research the pond water chemistry and how to cultivate and maintain healthy bacteria in it.

If your fish mean as much to you as you claim, you will want to do right by them and learn everything you can about ponds for their best health.

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
OK, here is my advice: Just help your parents, please!!!

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
No, I'm not using gravel. I read that's its better not to because it's easier to clean the pond that way. I might have stones and "caves" like pots for the fish though. Not in the beginning though, I just want to hurry and put them in the pond before they're even more stunted than they already are. So little things like that will have to wait. I'm just focusing on pond liner, netting, and filter since those are the only things you absolutely need from what I've read.

Where the hole is is probably the best place for it. Other places in the yard are too sunny or there's stuff planned for that spot already. This spot doesn't have roots/rocks, its right outside my bedroom window so I can look out at it, it's not too sunny. Yeah, the yard is fenced in. Why does that matter though? Yeah, eventually it'll be planted

if you can't understand the directions, you aren't going to be able to do the project.
But the directions don't pertain to my pond. All I need to do is finish the hole, lay some pond liner in it, lay netting over it, and hook up a filter.Surely the laying of pond liner and netting shouldn't be too hard. Won't I just need to smooth the pond liner out inside of the hole and make sure there aren't any wrinkles and then take the edges of it and pull it up just outside the hole and put some bricks/stones there to keep it in place? I'm not sure if that made sense but that's how I keep picturing it.

ANd then for the netting, lay it over the top of the hole and hold it done with bricks? Gettng those things and the setting up the filter will be the hardest part, since I don't understand stuff like that but my dad will probably help with that.

Excuzzzeme, That's why I need to get all that free/cheap. I've found great deals on craigslist before, hopefully I will again. You don't do water changes on a pond? How does the water get refreshed, besides from rain?

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Something else to consider, which was eluded to earlier, depending on where you live, you cannot just add another pond to the yard. When I lived in upstate New York there were restrictions on how many and what sized pond you could have because ponds do affect the surrounding ecology. Adding one could also need to be disclosed to your parents' homeowners insurance company causing an increase in premiums because it is another "hazard" if a child happens into your yard -- especially if it's 6+ feet deep. Please be sure to research this area as well as the nut and bolts of how to put in a pond.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
A kid/animal couldn't drown it because its going to have this netting over it http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5312+15872&pcatid=15872

And we have a giant pond in our yard (like a retention pond) already. So I suppose there aren't any rules about ponds. But even if there were, like I said, I don't have any choice about the pond. My fish either need a pond or 180g, the biggest tank I'll ever be able to have is a 120.

And speaking of that netting, will that work? It says it fits 7ft x 10ft. The pond will be 6ft long, 5 ft wide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store