Help Identifying Convict Cichlid Sex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

htrauqer

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Texas
I have 2 new Convict Cichlids, need opinions on identifying sexes of them. I believe the smaller one is for sure a female but the larger one is questionable. The larger one is 2" max

Here is the larger one:

IMG_1668.jpg

Here is the smaller one:
image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

htrauqer

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Texas
The top two look male to me; the last, female. I'm judging but the pointed dorsal & anal fins vs the rounded 1s on the last.
The larger one is the top photo only and the smaller one is the last two photos. I only have two. So thats good if you think the one on top is a male but what about the second one in the last two photos? Toss up?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Then why is the top & middle fish's dorsal & anal fins pointy & the bottom 1's fins not? The pics are not super clear but that's all I've got. Whatever, with even 1 female you'll have more fry in a month or 2 than you can possibly deal with...good luck! Make a plan...

htrauqer

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Texas
Yeah, I don't know the pics are the best i could get with them moving around so much. They're pretty active. But I am currently trying to plan for that now, I was thinking about getting another tank and getting it set up and ready for the fry but I don't know what my best course of action is just yet. What do you suggest?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Separate the sexes. Convicts breed like rabbits, after a practice round or 2 they may have 100 fry each month, every month...& they will be almost impossible to rehome. I know it seems fun & exciting but it gets very old very fast. Think about it.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but we had several easy to breed cichlid species that bred all the time & even though some fry died or ate each other, we could not find any places to take them within a 2 hour drive in any direction...& ours were not as prolific as convicts...be careful what you wish for

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, that is an option. It can be a bit gruesome if you're sensitive about "your babies". You'll need another tank big enough to house a large cichlid that can eat fry from small to an inch or 2. The smart fry learn to hide from hungry parents...if they can.

I would suggest you have a batch (or maybe 2) of convicts just so you can have that exciting fish breeding thrill (it is fun to watch!). But it means an extra tank to care for just for convict disposal...Think about it...

htrauqer

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Texas
I definitely think it’s a male/female pair at this point, just watching them interact and seeing the color differential so far.
So I may very well have to do something soon. They’ve only been in the tank together for a week now though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store