Help Identifying Live Rock Creature

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kallendorf

Registered Member
May 7, 2006
I have finally been able to capture on camera what I assume is the head of this unknown creature living in my rock. My best guess is that it is 3-4" long. The rest of its body is more like a snake or worm with rings. Anyone have any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks,
Kevin

creature.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Looks like a chiton, but that shouldn't have any worm/eel like parts...Does it move around much? Fast, slow?

kallendorf

Registered Member
May 7, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I will start researching chitons. This creature definitely has some sort of tail though. I have only been able to catch it a few times. It is always been in the same rock -reaching out through one of the many holes. It does have some pretty good wheels when it notices light changes in the room(camera flashes,etc) but generally appears to just be grazing.

-Kevin

kallendorf

Registered Member
May 7, 2006
I haven't touched it but it appears as if it is soft. It squeezes through some fairly small holes in the rock, then flattens as shown in the image. I looked at some chitons and I can see the similiarities. If it wasn't for the rest of its body/tail, I would agree. I will start looking at Nudibranch as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

damselmaster

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
mr_fosi said:
Nudibranch?

Yep, that is my guess. Definalty looks like one.

You are a lucky reefer kallendorf if it is. I love nudibranches. I wish the fish stores in my area sold more of a selection, in my opinion, only the mantis shrimp rivals the nudibranches in beauty.

Aescleah

AC Members
Feb 23, 2003
NC
Visit site
hummmm its hard to tell but i would say its that or a tunicate can you get some more pics has it moved or does it stay in one place.

Ashley
:dog:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store