Help identifying my 3 rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gomer89

Registered Member
Nov 25, 2021
I bought 3 rams, I was told they were bolivian rams but now I'm not sure as it's hard to tell apart and they all have red in their eyes. I was also wondering if they can be identified as male or female from the photos. Thank you to anyone who can help.

20211125_140630.jpg

20211125_140541.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
All three are blue rams (German blue ram, gold ram, etc). Might need to check your other tankmates can handle the temperature these guys like (82-86F) as these guys do better kept warm and in soft water--can be sensitive.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm going to say the first is female. In the 2nd the front 1 is male but it's hard to tell about the rear smaller 1 but it looks girlie. I'm judging by the anal & pelvic fins

Gomer89

Registered Member
Nov 25, 2021
Thank you for the help, my tank is heated to 82 at the moment, would I need a higher temperature than that for them? I have a small school of neon tetras and a common pleco along with the rams in a 75gl tank, they all seem to get along but the common pleco is about 6in now and I'm not sure if his size would pose a threat to them in the future. I will try and get better pictures of them in the morning when I feed them. Thank you for the help

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Thank you for the help, my tank is heated to 82 at the moment, would I need a higher temperature than that for them? I have a small school of neon tetras and a common pleco along with the rams in a 75gl tank, they all seem to get along but the common pleco is about 6in now and I'm not sure if his size would pose a threat to them in the future. I will try and get better pictures of them in the morning when I feed them. Thank you for the help
Too hot for the neons, they prefer below 78F. You may encounter health issues longterm that way, they won't live as long.

As for the common pleco, unfortunately a 75g is too small and will eventually you may need to either upgrade him to a 200g+ or find him a new home. Common plecos get 15-27" depending on the species or common pleco.

Gomer89

Registered Member
Nov 25, 2021
Yeah I have already started the process of finding a new home for him, I have another tank I can put the neon tetras in. Can you recommend some good tank mates for my rams? I'd like to still keep them in my 75gl instead of moving them. Thank you

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yeah I have already started the process of finding a new home for him, I have another tank I can put the neon tetras in. Can you recommend some good tank mates for my rams? I'd like to still keep them in my 75gl instead of moving them. Thank you
Green neon tetras like it hotter, as do cardinal tetras. Both would do well at 82-84F
Same goes for a couple types of plecos... example : L102 Snowball Pleco, L142 Snowball Pleco, L333 pleco for those of the smaller plecos suitable for a 75g.

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store