Help! Is this piece of wood I just found aquarium safe ? [PICTURES]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dekk

Keeper of Hybrids
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
I just found this piece of wood in the backyard on the ground. Its VERY dry, I was able to peel some of the bark off no problem with just my hands. I then took a simple garden hose to it and more bark easily fell off.
It seems like a weak piece of wood, you can break the branches off no problem. I left some of the bark on there on purpose incase anyone can recognize what kind of wood it actually is and if its safe. If it is safe, ill make sure to peel ALL the bark off. But anyways, here it is. I left the water bottle there for size comparison. If it is deemed aquarium safe, it could be my dream centerpiece. :) *prays*

driftwood 003.JPG

driftwood 004.JPG

driftwood 005.JPG

driftwood 006.JPG

driftwood 007.JPG

driftwood 008.JPG

driftwood 009.JPG

driftwood 008.JPG driftwood 009.JPG driftwood 007.JPG driftwood 005.JPG driftwood 004.JPG driftwood 003.JPG driftwood 006.JPG

Dekk

Keeper of Hybrids
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
What type of trees are in your backyard lol? It's not pine, so that's good.
I think we have Oak in our yard, but im not sure. Theres a lake right behind our house and this is the first time I seen this thing laying around. I just found it 20 minutes ago and it was dry as a bone. I have no idea what it is besides the fact that it's some sort of wood.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Well... Assuming it washed up from the lake or something, I'd consider it ok... I'd run it through the dishwasher a few times. I don't think it'll rot, but I'm not positive.

Dekk

Keeper of Hybrids
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
Well... Assuming it washed up from the lake or something, I'd consider it ok... I'd run it through the dishwasher a few times. I don't think it'll rot, but I'm not positive.
What I might do is just peel the rest of the bark off then boil it and see what happens. I wanna use it so my clown pleco and albino bristlenose pleco can hang around on.

If we could get some more opinions that would be great :)

PapaMann

AC Members
Jun 12, 2011
Richland WA
Real Name
Casey
If it breaks easily, it's probably a soft wood tree, and not oak. If it is a soft wood it will rot pretty quickly.

Dekk

Keeper of Hybrids
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
If it breaks easily, it's probably a soft wood tree, and not oak. If it is a soft wood it will rot pretty quickly.
I sure hope its not a softwood tree. When I said I could break the pieces easily, its because the top pieces are pretty thin and probably anyone could break limbs that thin.

If it is a softwood tree, would that cause any death in my tank if I put it in there for a little while? just to see what happens...

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Take your thumb and using your nail try to scratch the wood. If you can easily scratch it or worse dig a small hole it's best not to use it. If it is very hard to scratch, it should be alright.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store