Help Keeping Fish safe

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zeromason577

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
Portland,Oregon
Well i need a little advice on this matter.

I am trying to cycle a 35 gal with about 9 convicts and one common pleco, all fish avrage about 4 inches, i know this may be a little over stocked, but they came with the tank.

My pH is at 6.8, Ammonia 2, NitRate 5, nitrIte 0.

is this normal? could this be hurting the fish? i know the ammonia is high, and i have also tried boosting the bio filter witch stress zyme. and befor that tried using zeolite to lower the ammoina.

any help on geting these levels down is greatly apreciated.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
water changes..you probabaly should do a atleast 50 % change (possibly more)
you need to get the ammonia and nitrite levels down..what test method are you using?

then continue to do changes at least every other day(possibly daily).

I would monitor the water daily.

Have you tested your water source(ie tap)

generally when the ammonia spikes , it should drop pretty quick..the nitrites then usually start to rise as the ammmonia is converted.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i had a tank overstcoked like that, and the ammonia never went down until i took out fish, all the time id have problems with the fish either getting sick or just dying. the water changes may help a little bit but as they get bigger its jsut gonna be more and more of a problem.

Remedies: Take fish out, more filtration with biological (as in additional filter), larger tank. really in a 35 you could prob only have about 3-4 con, bkuz they are messy eaters and aggressive also, esp when breeding.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
way too many and too large fish with which to 'cycle' a tank. i think you're going to have sick and diseased fish and continuing ammonia/nitrite problems until you thin the herd in this tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store