Help Me Compose my Planted Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
Hi all, I'm putting together my first planted aquarium and and having difficulty composing a satisfying aqua-scape. I understand that idea of placing tall plants in the background, mid sized plants in the mid-ground and shorter plants that spread more in the foreground. I've tried many different configurations but I haven't really gotten it the way I want. I'd rather the tank not look like just, a fishtank with a bunch of random plants spread around it. Any suggestions you have about composition are greatly appreciated. Here are my specs:

30 gallon long tank:
DIY CO2 reactor
Magnum 350 filter
2 x 25W 6500K fluorescent bulbs
Play sand and fluorite substrate
Jobe fern and palm fertilizer spikes

Plants:
4 x Golden lloydiella
2 x Small amazon sword plants
2 x Dwarf Baby Tears (1 potted 1 unpotted)
2 x Red Melon Sword
2 x Hydrotriche hottoniiflora
1 x Anubias nana on driftwood
1 large clump of java fern
1 large clump of java moss

Fish:
6 x corydoras agassazi
6 x neon tetras
3 x neon sword tails
1 x bristle nose pleco

Picture at the moment:

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I have a fish tank withplants (not the other way around, ;-)) My suggestion is to become friendly with the LFS where you get the plants. Grow what you have, let it fill out, if you decide to change, take them to the LFS and give them to them. If they get to know you well enough eventually they may give you SOME store credit for new plants. Then put in new plants, lather, rinse and repeat as necessary.

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
You can trim the golden lloydiella and plant the trimmings in a circular grouping around the rock on the left side. Move the melon sword from the middle to the left side of the driftwood. You need more plants.

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
I decided to trim up and regroup most of the plants and rearrange things. I like the idea of surrounding the rock with the lloydiella. I'll add more plants in the future.

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
Error, unintended post.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd move the wood slightly to 1 side, the focal point should be offcenter. Maybe add another piece of wood & give it some time to grow. I'm not loving the pot, maybe some plants around it to disguise it a bit, sag or small crypts. Good start though!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
try grouping 3-4 plants together, and mixing darker greens with brighter yellow/light green accents. I would move everything a couple inches forward, they'll appear bigger that way. Good luck!

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
one part of aquascaping that I really like is make your substrate slopped. High in the back and short up front. This gives the tank a sense of depth and that the makes it look like the area is actually much larger than it actually is.

If you notice a lot of the amazing looking scapes most have a sloped substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store