Help Me Plan My DREAM 10 Gallon!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
apple snails and mystery snails are the same thing.The large apple snails,the ones that get to be the size of apples, are next to impossible to find,and are illegal to ship(i think).

I think 11 cardinal tetra and 1 mystery snail would be perfect!
That calculator is really cool!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I don't know where that site got their info,but unless the plants are already decaying and dying,they do not eat plants.
I've got some pics of a couple of mine in one of my planted tanks if you want to see.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I went to my LFS today to get some Flourish Excell ( I ended up getting a heater, a standing thermometer, and a backround too, I can never walk out of there with just what I came for lol) and looked around and found out that they did not have any cardinal tetras so I am going to have to get neons instead.

Does this change how many fish I can have?

Also Do I have to add extra calcium into a mystery/apple snails tank/food?

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Also what type of food should I feed neons? Fish food obviously, but what kind of fish food (veggie flakes, tropical flakes, etc.)?

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
One thing I forgot to mention is that if my tank is cycled before the end of November then I will get my fish then. Because I spent over $250.00 when I got everything (the tank, the lights, the plants, etc.) I got a coupon for $60.00 in FREE fish:woot:! But the coupon expires at the end of November so I am really hoping the cycle goes by quickly and is done before then.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
If it's close, I'd get the fish. That's 60 bucks man!!

Neon Tetras and Cardinals aren't much different in size (although I think Cardinals get bigger). You can stick with your 11 Neons and your snail.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I am definitely going to wait until the cycle is finished (I am already seeing nitrate) before I get the fish. I decided not to get the mystery snail because I looked at them when I was in my LFS and they looked a little too big for my liking. Instead I am going to take a pond snail or two from my 2.5 gallon Betta tank and put it/them in my new ten gallon.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I never did post a pic of my new tank in this thread.

Well Here you go:):
Planted 10 10-27-09 1.JPG

Those grass-like plants may appear to be dying but the are some form of sagittarius which will melt down then regrow smaller.

Planted 10 10-27-09 1.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store