help me plan out this nano

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I've asked a few questions regarding UGF, RUGF, plants and shrimp for this tank... but I feel like I need some big picture type feedback from the experts.

I bought this 4 gallon (holds 3.5 gallons with substrate) tall tank on ebay. It came with an undergravel system and a light hood. My main goal is to have a low light planted tank to breed shrimp.

Because it came with the UGF, and I've never used one, I've been exploring the options. At this point, I have everything I need besides substrate, to make a normal UGF set up, and in a few days, I'll have a Rio 50 powerhead as well, which claims 69gph, but is adjustable. I don't want to use an airpump. I don't like the sound of the bubbles.

So my main questions for you plantsperts are:

1. Would you use the UGF plate?

2. If yes, can I use a plant substrate like eco-complete of flourite? if not, can you suggest a dark, fine substrate that I can use?

3. If no, would you run the Rio 50 Powerhead, on a slow setting, with a sponge on the intake as the only filter? what would be a better use?

4. What plants would you suggest? I am thinking just 1 or 2 species. Would love something tall and thin, like a grass or a val, but don't know what's going to do well in this small tank.

5. What wattage of light would you put in this? It currently has a 7w Screw in PC at 2700K.

KICX2661.JPG

Stargate_geek

Total Geek
May 2, 2007
Mass, USA
How tall is the tank?

I think 'walls' (back and sides) of corkscrew val would be nice looking. Then maybe some moss on that driftwood (which is really cool looking!) and some moss balls or something in the foreground?

You could run both filters. I have an HOB and UGF on my snail/shrimp tank. And if you don't like the sound of bubbles from the UGF then stick the intake tube down the lift tube from the UGF instead of using bubbles to pull the water up. Just make sure the shrimp can't get down under there!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
id suggest just using the powerhead as a filter, with some anacharis and possibly hornwort in the way of plants.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I'm ok with vals taking over, I only want one species of plant anyway. anarchis... eh.

a sponge filter is in the running, except I don't want to use an air pump. I'm thinking powerhead with sponge intake as the filter. this would also allow me to use flourite or ecocomplete as the substrate.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ludwigia palustris grows like a weed and has some additional coloration in the leaves than just plain green. If you don't want it to get too bush, always replant the tops when you trim, not the bottoms. When you make a cut, the plant splits into two stems at the bottom.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
can go with vals in the back wall and either some sags or chain swords in the middle/front. can also have some water lettuce or hydrocotyle floating at the top of the tank. If you get rid of that branch you can get a nice size (5-9") already soaked piece of drift wood at petco $5-8 and place it on an angle against the left or right side of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store