Help my fish are dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
I just did a 75% but used the cycle...i will stop but when should I do another change?

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I would retire the 2g. It is too small for anything really other than a Betta. But even that is really small.

The 10g with a heater and filter should be kept empty and in a closet for when its needed. IF a fish gets sick all you have to do is pull it out, set it up, fill it up and cycle it. To cycle it all you need to do is take 1/2 the filter media from the main tank, and put it in the 10g. The bacteria in this media will be enough to support any fish the is sick.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Really, all you can do at this point is play the waiting game. If you can get some Biospira within the next couple of days, then use it. Keep doing daily 30-75% water changes until your nitrites read 0. If you trust your fish store to be disease free(maybe they have a display tank setup?) ask them for some used filter media/mulm. Enough to support your current tank size. Usually their display tanks are disease free...I wouldn't trust the system tanks w/ fish for sale as these tanks may very well contain parasites.

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
Shouldnt i keep a hospital tank up and running so i dont have to wait for it to cycle? with like snails in it or something?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes...it will save you alot of trouble in the long run...especially if keeping it running wouldn't be a problem for you. I'd even throw in a clump of Water Sprite. Don't bother planting it, just let it float and make sure it gets enough light. Some snails would be good for the tank.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Just thought I'd add. Keep in mind that snails will not tolorate many medications however. A few apple snails could be easily removed if treatment was needed. But if they reproduced, baby snails need to be removed. I would avoid using a substrate...this will help make cleaning the tank and snail removal easier.

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
ok thanks...will post new nitrite levels in 30 minutes...ps. i tested my tap water levels to make sure and the nitrite level there is 0

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store