HELP! My Goldfish has blister-like things on its side

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
lilchris_28 said:
Right now the only think in the tank besides the goldfish and the pleco is gravel and a little otter ornament. No air pump.
ok, then it just probably has to do with the water quality. You really have to be doing 50% water changes everyday. He may have gotten this far, but it is obvious the bad water is taking the toll on him. Do you have a gravel cleaner? And I am waiting for the pics when you can do it:)

lilchris_28

Fish are friends...Not food.
Jan 18, 2006
The middle of nowhere, USA
Yes I have a gravel cleaner and I use it when I do the water change/filter cleaning. I'm downloading the pics now... Probably another 10 minutes and they'll be on here. How often do I need to do the water changes in the 20G. I can move him in there now, but the tank hasn't had time to cycle, so which is the least of the two evils?

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
Do you have any fish in the 20 gallon?

No matter what, you are going to have to buy the test kit..I know they seem expensive but you really can't know what your tank is doing without it.

Without knowing where the 20 gallon is at, I would not subject the fish to the cycle.

I would CAREFULLY, with the vac, dig it deep in an area down into the gravel without swishing it around, let it suck until it runs about clear, then move over. With only 5 gallons, you won't be able to do much at a time. Each day, do a little more gravel. You may have to do a 40-50% water change in the morning and the night.

The best chance your fish will have is if you make sure that water as as clear as possible without any chance of getting nasty.

Also, I would take out as much gravel as possible, leaving a thin layer of maybe 1/4" for the pleco. You need to get as much water in that tank as possible.

You also need to feed very sparingly for right now, just a little in the morning, etc don't feed two or 3 times a day.

Do you feed the pleco different things than the fish? How big is the fish?

how far is the 20 into the cycle?

lilchris_28

Fish are friends...Not food.
Jan 18, 2006
The middle of nowhere, USA
No I don't have any fish in the 20G right now. I just got it and set it up today.

My pleco just eats the leftovers. When I clean the tank, I put a half of an algae wafer in for him. The pleco is about 3.5 inches and the goldfish is about 6 inches.

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
Ok, your 20 looks awesome!:):)

You have a pearlscale?? I love those!

Ok, well, the octagon tank is also not very good for the fish because of the surface area, BUT good news, your bio wheel looks good, DO NOT wash it, BUT get rid of the filter charcoal cartridge.

When you go to the store, you can pick up a few things very cheap to really help the situation. You can buy bio sponge or biomax from Aquaclear for under $5.00. I would put some quilt batting from walmart, etc real cheap at the first spot the water touches into the filter, this will catch all the chunks you see on top of the blue pad, roll it up like a fat sausage and make sure it goes end to end so it catches all the crud then that will flow through onto the next and support the bacteria. AT that second area past the quilt batting, FILL IT with as much BIOMAX ceramic rings you can fit..ok? This should cost you very little. Then, you can later use this 5 gallon for something small and transfer the good bacteria portions to the new tank as well.

Make sense?

ANy questions?

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
lilchris_28 said:
No I don't have any fish in the 20G right now. I just got it and set it up today.

My pleco just eats the leftovers. When I clean the tank, I put a half of an algae wafer in for him. The pleco is about 3.5 inches and the goldfish is about 6 inches.
Wonderful...ok, tell me this...can you take back that pump and get a test kit first, bio media second if you have the funds,, do 40% water changes on the 5 gallon at least once a week and leave the pleco in that until the cycle is done.... Then put the pearlscale in the 20 gallon?

If you can do a 50% water change EVERYDAY on that 20 gallon, along with testing the water, I feel that would be a better place for ONE of the fish for now in the 20 until the cycle is over..which will be about a month......can you do that?

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
lilchris_28 said:
Just one question, where does the sponge go in there?
Is your tank a 5 gallon eclipse?

This is a picture of my 6 gallon Eclipse.

I roll up quilt batting, and then I have the rings. This is what you can do and will be a million times better than the charcoal.

ANy ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store