HELP! My Goldfish has blister-like things on its side

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
THIS is what a well colonized wheel will look like.

You CANNOT have too much bio filtration for goldfish. They are filthy and need all the help they can get. In a 5 or 6 gallon Eclipse the filtration IS NOT up to par to hold goldfish, hence the need for extra bio that helps a lot.

If your wheel looks clean, IT IS NOT colonized well.

A well colonized area in any part of the tank, the intake tube, etc that has slime, will help properly cycle and kep the tank ammonia free. If you are scrubbing everything, that can make things worse.

Your ammonia and your nitrites need to stay AS LOW as possible. Your nitrates should be nor more than 20-30. SImply check your water morning and night. If the water says anything higher than 0 ammonia and nitrites and 20 nitrates, so a 50% water change. Do this each time with PRIME. This will keep your water healthy for the fish and do NOT rinse your bio media.

The salt at a .1 -.3% can help a lot in healing just remember that what you put in does not evaporate and you have to use aquarium safe salt

Last edited:

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
I don't think anyone had mentioned this, but do you realize your little pleco will grow upwards of 18 inches?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Persimmon said:
THIS is what a well colonized wheel will look like.

You CANNOT have too much bio filtration for goldfish. They are filthy and need all the help they can get. In a 5 or 6 gallon Eclipse the filtration IS NOT up to par to hold goldfish, hence the need for extra bio that helps a lot.

If your wheel looks clean, IT IS NOT colonized well.
Persimmon,

No offense, but I would never leave my biowheel like that :) Yours looks like it's covered with mulm and mulm will inhibit nitrite eaters. Not a good thing.

I swish mine in the tank, not the old tank water, the good water, every time I clean and I've never had a problem.

To each their own, I guess, but IMO there's no reason for it to be quite *that* gunky looking :)

A well colonized area in any part of the tank, the intake tube, etc that has slime, will help properly cycle and kep the tank ammonia free. If you are scrubbing everything, that can make things worse.
No, this I will argue whole-heartedly against. Bacteria colonize in the biowheel and filter media, not in the filter tubes. Slime is not bacteria colonization. It is mulm and not only will it affect your nitrite eaters, but it will restrict the flow of water through your filter. You HAVE to clean your intake and out-take tubes or your water flow will be restricted. With goldfish that is the last thing you want.

Clean the filter parts in old tank water, and remove all the mulm. Use a filter brush for the tubes. I do this every week and have never had a burp in nitrites or ammonia or nitrates.

Roan

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Roan Art said:
....Yours looks like it's covered with mulm and mulm will inhibit nitrite eaters. Not a good thing....
May i ask what makes you say that ? (articles, books?)
I've been reading and reading and never came across anything stateing that mulm is bad for nitrite conversion - the opposite actually....

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store