Help My Kuli Loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

getabigtank

Banned
Dec 22, 2008
Hello, I have a 10 gal. tank with two small goldfish about 2 inches each, 2 dwarf gouramis about ½ an inch each, 2 African Dwarf Frogs and a Kuli Loach. My parameters are approx. 0-20 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 chlorine, 150 GH ppm hardness, 120-180 KH ppm alkalinity, and a very consistent 7.6 pH. I recently noticed that my Kuli Loach was swimming very wobbly and aimlessly with little control. At first it seemed to be a swim bladder infection but then I noticed red markings on his pectoral fins and assumed it to be an ammonia spike. I did a 50% water change and chemically treated for ammonia. He still appears weak with no appetite and is just wobbling around the tank. Sometime the loach will float at the top and other time at the bottom, but not for long periods of time. He does this with the light on which is an unusual characteristic for him and he also has little to no reaction response. I am not sure what to do, any answers?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Glad to have you here!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Hello..........:welcome:

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
Welcome to AC.

How long have you had the loach?

I recently moved, and my cory's started behaving like that. I attributed it to not acclimating them properly to the new water conditions. I only moved 5 miles away, so I assumed the water would be the same. But after they started behaving funny like that, I tested the water and it was differnet.

So it could be the loach wasn't acclimated properly.

As for what to do, just keep up on the water maintaince (ie water changes) and hope for the best. But your tank is over stocked, and I'd suggest getting a bigger tank sooner rather than later.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
:welcome:!

for question, i have no idea but u r over stocked and uve mixed tropical and cold water fish which a very bad idea! id home the goldies as they get very large! post in the general fresh water and you will get great help there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store