Help name my koi please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Hypancistrus-zebra,

My guess's for your koi would be...

1. Nidan Kohaku - Koi with red on white are generally referred to as Kohaku. It seems yours has two small patches of red so a two step red on white is referred to as a Nidan Kohaku.

2. Kahaku - The koi is clearly red on white but I don't think it follows any specific color pattern.

3. Aka Bekko or Hi Utsuri - Aka Bekko is black on red while Hi Utsuri is Red on Black. I am not a Koi expert so it is always difficult for me to tell which is which when they name color patterns this way. If I had to pick one I would pick Aka Bekko (black on red) because it looks like hints of red show through some of the black markings which would indicate that red is the background color.

Happy Thanksgiving.

TJcanada

AC Members
Jeff... this is a Nidan Kohaku
Her fish -

What Hypancistrus has is not a Nidan Kohaku...she has a Hikari - metallic variey...

Jeff - Aka Bekko or Hi Utsuri - Aka Bekko is black on red while Hi Utsuri is Red on Black.
There is no red in this fish...Ki refers to yellow - Hi refers to red. Utsuri have a black base..notice the fins/around the eyes, they are black, a good indicator that this fish is an Utsuri.

"pic#4 - seems to be a Kujaku*Hikariwake* - final 2 pic are what I believe to be a Kujaku..

Just trying to clarify...;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

TJ

TJcanada

AC Members
haha im a bloke
:eek: I do apologize!!!!! One never knows from a nik...*taking foot outta mouth now..:p *

When you said "names" I didn't realize you meant "names" ... I thought you wee looking for help with identification of varieties...LOL Oh well - Ya know, if you watch your Koi, thier names will come to you thru thier personality/get to know them alittle...that's how ours are named. Ofcourse we ended up finding out "Chuckie" was a "Chuckette"...;)

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
TJcanada,

You're right. The koi spots are orange/yellow. I must be color blind. No wonder my wife doesn't let me match my ties when I get dressed for work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store