Help! New Black Ghost Knife

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

band_width_band

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi - I have a new 2.5 inch BGK fish - am very worried about him not eating.

Had him 2 days. He is in a 6x2x2 foot amazonian theme aquarium. Heavily planted, many logs and roots in which to hide. Water parameters should be ok for him. No big scary fish, all 100% amazonian.

He just hides and won't come out to eat - even with lights almost off. Have tried blood worm, brine shrimp and flake.

I know these guys are supposed to be big eaters. Any hints? Will he just eat when hungry enough? I don't want him to die!

I also don't want to randomly throw food in there in the dark, as don't want to spoil water...

Advice very gratefully recieved.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
They are pretty shy when they are small. turn the lights off before you feed and spot feed him with turkey baster.

BioFilter

Deep Sea Viper Fish
Dec 2, 2006
You have only had him 2 days and he could still be acclimating to his new home.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I'd agree with both above responses. When I brought my guy home last year, at @ 4", he was hiding out all the time, not eating, etc. Researched, asked questions, and let him be. He started to explore, and a few days later I actually saw him eat (he'll eat a wide variety---wandering tetras, granules, various quality flakes, freeze-dried tubifex and krill, shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and shrimp. . . ) Now he's 8, pushing 9 inches, and the quiet ruler of the tank. His Severum buddy is totally cool with him; the new 3" JD has challenged him many times (little booger), and he will eat with the corys in the evening, looking for food he missed earlier (they really can be pigs!)
Just give him some time, maybe a little longer dark time, and he'll get accustomed (that's a big space for a little kid!)
If you want more expert opinion, pm Ghost_Knife; he's had tons of experience and is willing to share : ). Good luck, and enjoy your gentle giant. (ps: don't put any fish in the tank that can fit in his mouth (which gets pretty big) as he'll eat them. Don't advise feeders, not necessary and too risky from store).

Last edited:

band_width_band

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you all very much for your advice! I'll stop panicing and try those suggestions.

band_width_band

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Guys - many thanks. He had a real nice dinner of blood worms late last nigt and looked v happy. :)

5Bettamom

7 BettaMom now!!! Woot woot
Dec 15, 2006
Washington
What did he eat at the pet store? Maybe he just wasnt used to what you were feeding. But seeing your new post, I am glad he is doing well :)

band_width_band

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
What did he eat at the pet store? Maybe he just wasnt used to what you were feeding. But seeing your new post, I am glad he is doing well :)
They told me flake....but we all know that old gag...that's why I got the brine shrimp and blood worm...

Germanman

My fish are my babies
thats really an old gag dont fish stores know the real speal is knowing the facts and telling the truth geeezz comon lol. glad to hear hes eating though one of my favorite fish always had one before i went salt.
i used to go to my competitors before they knew i was their competition and ask them questions that i knew the answer to they lied about 80% of the time just to sell. i remember a guy at a store called pet house telling me a full grown zig zag eel wont eat my small fish and that they dont like worms...lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store