Help new oscar sulking,not eaten in 3 days!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
oscars tend to sulk when you move them to a new tank. assuming the tank is large enough, provide tankmates to help it liven up and this would be the only time i would recomend live food. although they can bring diseases...the oscar isn't eating which is a worse problem

thefishmonger

AC Members
Apr 25, 2007
My red tiger did the same thing for 3 days and would lay on his side or float on or near the surface. He hid for a few more and then snapped out of it. I believe it was just stress from a new envorinment. He eats flakes and bloodworms like crazy now.

karenoalas

AC Members
Feb 28, 2004
Visit site
I would suggest testing the water as already suggested. Then, don't panic about the fish not eating right away. I've had mine go on a hunger strike that lasted for over 2 weeks! Scared me silly!! darned fish!
If all they fed him at the store was gold fish flakes... they little guy probably has little clue what good food is. Give it some time and correct any water issues after testing. (hint hint hint)
The other suggestion about varieties of food is great. Don't rely on only 1 or 2 kinds of food even when he starts eating. To keep him healthy he will need a good varietied diet.
Good luck

DeBree420

AC Members
Feb 9, 2007
HE WAS LONELY!
i got him a friend (another O) he was smaller so i put a clear plastic divider between them, and they both started eating right away! :D
lfs still has no test kits for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite but are now ordering them in for me! :p
... i am very careful(anal :p ) with maturing and stocking my tanks, so although i am still waiting on my test kits, im fairly confident of my water quality, as i do regular, frequent water changes, and have an awesome bacteria base... it will be great to see what level everything is at, when i get my testers though
Thanks heeps guys

DeBree420

AC Members
Feb 9, 2007
i also think the other oskie showed him what was food, by eating it himself, but before i even fed them, tyger (the first O) got off the bottom of the tank and started to interact with cookie (the second O), so yeah..just mustve been lonely!

nate da fishman

AC Members
Jun 25, 2006
whats the tank size?

'nate

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Could try guppies, after Q tank.

DeBree420

AC Members
Feb 9, 2007
tank size is a tall 3 foot, O's are about 1 inch (cookie)and almost 2 inches(tyger) they are very happy now,will be moved into 4 foot when a little bigger, and again into a 6 foot when fully grown

Mocha Jive

AC Members
glad to hear he has cheered up, my tiger sulked and hide for a few days but once he got comfy in his new home he is all good well except when the Bala's are playing he still gets spooked sometimes but he loves to watch them he is such a curious fish :) You might also try feeding them Earthworms. I know mine just loves them and is now turning it into a game with me and gets so excited when I hold a worm up to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store