HELP! Newbie ready to give up...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I didn't notice if your tank is heated...unless I overlooked it. That can cause a big problem if household temperatures fluctuate regularly. I recently added heater to my goldfish tanks because I use a programmable thermostat that lowers the house temp during the day. The tank temperatures fluctuated as much as 5 degrees (or less) during a 24 hour period. The fish were listless on the bottom of the tank and their fins developed large tears. Added a heater and no more problems. I was amazed at how damaging daily temperature changes were to goldfish which otherwise do fine in cooler temperatures.

Bremer

AC Members
Oct 3, 2000
Houston, Texas
Where are you getting your fish? I've found that some stores have sickly fish that often die within a few days or weeks. Compare that to the LFS where the vast majority of my fish have come from and from which all have survived for lengthy periods.

So I would make sure you are getting your fish from a good LFS. You may not be doing anything wrong...you may just be getting fish that have disease.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by O-man21
You might try adding stress coat to the fish

Originally posted by golfnfish
Tank - MiniBow 5 with Whisper Power Filter-hob, filter changed monthly. Stress Coat added with each water change.
Just so confusion doesn't set in, stress coat was always added, and it was suggested that it be discontinues for the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store