HELP....Nitrate Problems and Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
A few observations. First, the API nitrate test is notoriously unreliable. It is very important to shake the heck out of the solutions. They instruct:
4. Vigorously shake the Nitrate Test Solution Bottle # 2 for at least 30 seconds. This step is extremely important to insure accuracy of test results.
Some people recommend that you bang the bottle on a table as well to dislodge solids stuck to the bottom before you shake it.

Second, it is common to have some level of nitrates in drinking water, especially from treatment systems which use chlormines. Moreover, the regulations that govern water parameters are only applicable to the public portion of the water supply system. Once you cross over from the public delivery system to the private property pipes, the regulations do not apply. It is very common for nitrifying bacteria to become well established in parts of the private pipes where flow is not a regular thing. For example a basement sink used rarely or guest bathroom not used often. So not all the nitrate coming out of ones tap is the direct responsibility of the water company. However, one can argue they are indirectly responsible. The chloramine breaks down into chlorine and ammonia. That ammonia, even at very low levels, is what will feed the bacteria in the more "stagnant" areas of ones private pipes.

As suggest above, the best way to verify your readings would be to buy a bottle of distilled water and then run your nitrate test on it. If you get a reading above 0, that would be a good clue its test error and not the actual nitrate levels you are seeing.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Thank you twotank, but I had ran that test on my RO water and it came up 0. and ive read to shake the bottle for up to 3 mins...Even though my test kit was made in october this year, ill shake it for 3 mins anyway! lol

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Checked the water today. after a 3rd 50% RO water change- im at 20ppm! Figured ill leave the tank alone for a week and see if the plants start eating it up :) I ordered some Seachem Flourish, wasnt sure if i needed to order the Seachem excel ?

I also have been thinking about replacing the carbon filter that comes normally with the HOB filters, and using sponge, bio balls and then a Filter "mesh bag without the carbon" and stuffing that with purigen. Any suggestions to this?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Congrats! Don't foget to ocassionally monitor your GH/KH to maintain buffers where they need to be while using all that RO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store