Help on Dwarf Puffers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i just thaw some blood worms in a dixie cup and fish one out with tooth pick very easy.. but mostly mine eat snails 90% of the time.

and yes you would need a larger tank than 2.5 i don't think they would do good even in a 5g, is pushing it .. keep up with water changes and vac's

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
both, these fish are very intelligent and don't like to be cooped up they need to explore, i have 1 in a 10g with shrimp, greens and yellows and they love a very heavy planted tank to explore and need to patrol their area, plus the way and types of foods are prone to bad water conditions, i also have 3 in a 20 long which is ideal for a puff or 2, i did have all 4 in there but territories got close and others were being abused so i moved her, and soon to move another,..

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Also, comparison of bloodworms and brine shrimp

Brine shrimp: 4.5% protein .6% fat .5% Fiber and 92% moisture
Apparently it varies slightly from package to package. This particular bloodworm package:
4.5% protein, .2% fat, .7% fiber, 95% moisture.

Since the places after the decimals are subject to change from package to package, why are bloodworms so much higher in nutritional value? I know they are less salty than brine shrimp, and come in a meatier form. Do they contain some sort of vitamins or something?
That is the content of the package, not the food itself. BS are mostly water. It's like comparing steak to cereal. Puffers need a varied diet too, so try mysis shrimp & tiny snails.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
I used to have 7 and counting in a20 gal. I was having giving babies away every couple of months. But the thing I noticed was when I would pull all the plants and re scape tbhe tank they. Would get a little aggressive with little cover. I've never just had one but I have to say 2.5 gal doesn't seem like enough to keep a happy healthy do

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
He's getting a varied diet at the moment; what were your parameters fishymatty?
the tap went in at ph7.2, I injected co2 so ph is 6.2, KH-80 and GH 50.

Lots of live plants including a carpet of tall grass which made them very happy.

The thing I notice in all the DP threads is 1 DP does ok but 5 or more in a big enough tank do even better.
DPs also can tend to pick on other fish when kept alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store