Help on stocking a 10 gallon or 5 gallon hexagon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
I am looking at getting a 10 gallon hexagon aquarium off of craigslist possibly a 5 gallon hexagon tank if it sells before I get up in the area. Can people chime in and give me stocking options. Looking at cardinal tetras, neon tetras, kuhli loaches, and pygmy cories as possible options. This is a tank for my sister so no crayfish or shrimp or other crustacauns (can't spell) no gouramis or killis either. Would like as much variety as possible. Not set on the above choices, must be freshwater. If you have several different ideas set them up in options such as
5 gallon Hexagon
Option 1:
3 cardinals
3 neons
1 mystery snail
2 kuhli loachs
Option 2
# fish
# fish
10 gallon hex
Option 1
# fish
# fish
# fish
# fish
# fish
and so on and so forth. Looking for a bunch of possible options prefer small fish like neons, but would consider bigger ones like platies.

She's picky thanks. She wants a tank to entertain her cat. She agreed to pay for the tank and I get to keep it if I cared for it and let her pick the fish. What can I say I am a sucker for another tank;)

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
A 5 gallon hex is pretty small for all of those fish. I wouldn't put kuhli loaches in anything smaller than a 20. Theya re really active and like to be in groups of at least 5.

For a 5 gallon hex with no inverts, you are pretty much looking at a betta. Length is way more important than height when it comes to fish. You could maybe do some small nano fish but you won't be able to do a whole lot of variety.

A 10 gallon hex is a little better. Usually they are about 14" long so you have a bit more room. I still wouldn't do cardinals or neons especially since they can be so sensitive. But You could do some small schooling fish like ember tetras or celestial pearl danios. You will want at least 6 fish for a school and only 1 species of schooling fish for a tank that size. You could also do a group of male guppies, maybe 2-3 of various colors.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
How about the pygmy cories w/ a school of ember tetras for the 10 gallon hex?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
There's also microrasbora fishes. You could have 6 w/room for 6 habrosus cories.

Pygmy cories (corydoras pygmaeus) are midwater shoalers, a species tank would be great with some plants!! You could then have 8-10.

These suggestions are both for the 10- gallon hex.

The 5 hex - yes I would say one betta.

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
Personally I don't like to put most micro school species in small hex tanks since they are often a bit too active for that short of a tank size (lengthwise). Agree that the 5 gallon is pretty much limited to a betta.

For the 10 gallon most of my choices might be a little on the difficult side: Peacock Gudgeons and Scarlet Badis for example aren't terribly active, but can be picky eaters. Sparkling Gourami's are very cute IMO, but require good water quality. Endlers would be a colorful choice that shouldn't be too difficult though.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
There is more than just a Betta you could put in a 5 hex- Dwarf Gouramis being one of the more common options. rarer options include a single dwarf puffer or a pair of darios, sparkling gouramis, bumblebee gobies (do best in brackish, though), or clown killifish. You could also do a single school of ember tetras, mircorasbora, celestial danios, or possibly pygmy cories. For a 10g hex, I'd only recommend midwater or generalist fish, as the lower moving surface area of the hex footprint means that bottom and top only dwellers will feel cramped. I would also understock it due to the reduced surface area, but if its planted, you can get away with a normal 10g stocking. Just remember to avoid top and bottom only fish.

Last edited:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Some albino cories and black phantom tetras. I just love the albino cories they are just adorable and very hardy. For a 10 g hex.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Some albino cories and black phantom tetras. I just love the albino cories they are just adorable and very hardy. For a 10 g hex.
Albino corydoras get to 2-3 inches and should be kept at least 4 to a group. Way too big for the 10 hex!!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Well yes there is way more than a betta but he said he didn't want any gouramis or inverts and I was trying to think of fish that were more common and not very difficult. ALso i always seem to forget about dwarf puffers :)

My 5 gallon is an invert tank with a variety of shrimp and snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store